Skip to main content

Get your most frequently asked questions answered here!

Have a question not in our list? Leave a comment below!

«
Page 5 of 30 ▾
»
NewBod2012
NewBod2012 g Patrick Wilmore
23 Post(s)
23 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Lose Fat Date Joined: February 2, 2012
Posted

Hey Scott, thanks for the great words and the awesome video link. I watched the entire thing and the only person stopping me from achieving my goals is myself. I gotta stop being afraid to fail and be more confident in myself so I can focus more on my goals and achive them. Thanks man.

Do you by chance have a video showing the proper ways to measure oneself? I once used the videos on Bodybuilding.com if you are familiar with them. I'm embarrassed by my body so I generally try to do them myself using the myotape I bought offline awhile back. I'll get my stats posted soon on my SHF.com profile.

I'm a beginner with some gym/workout knowledge that has mostly come from friends, reading & web searching. If I don't know the answer, I'll be happy to help you find it!
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: NewBod2012

Hey Scott, thanks for the great words and the awesome video link. I watched the entire thing and the only person stopping me from achieving my goals is myself. I gotta stop being afraid to fail and be more confident in myself so I can focus more on my goals and achive them. Thanks man.

Do you by chance have a video showing the proper ways to measure oneself? I once used the videos on Bodybuilding.com if you are familiar with them. I'm embarrassed by my body so I generally try to do them myself using the myotape I bought offline awhile back. I'll get my stats posted soon on my SHF.com profile.

Happy to hear that man!! YEs, you are the only one stopping yourself! So keep your head up and eyes on the prize!

Check out this video for measurements too!

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
NewBod2012
NewBod2012 g Patrick Wilmore
23 Post(s)
23 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Lose Fat Date Joined: February 2, 2012
Posted

Hey Scott,

Two things...in the measurement video, is it better to measure flexed or unflexed or does it matter as long as you are tracking the difference? Also, do you think it's a good idea to follow a 12 week transformation program (Lee Labrada via bodybuilding.com)?

I'm a beginner with some gym/workout knowledge that has mostly come from friends, reading & web searching. If I don't know the answer, I'll be happy to help you find it!
Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: NewBod2012

Hey Scott,

Two things...in the measurement video, is it better to measure flexed or unflexed or does it matter as long as you are tracking the difference? Also, do you think it's a good idea to follow a 12 week transformation program (Lee Labrada via bodybuilding.com)?

Hey man,

I specifically went over that. It doesn't matter.. just make sure you do it the same way everytime or else your measurements will be off.

Nothing wrong with a 12 week program. Depends on what your goal is. Post in the MUSCLE GAIN or WEIGHT LOSS section of the forums, depending on your goal, and we will get you on track. #HTH

Caoimhin
Caoimhin g Kevin Thomasson
1 Post(s)
1 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: April 4, 2014
Posted

I'm having trouble accessing the Vitabot app please help.

gabo1087
gabo1087 g Gabriel Larios
3 Post(s)
3 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted

HI Scott,

I have some doubts, in the last month I've been suffering a lot of back pain, at the beginning I thought it was because I was excersing a lot, but some people mentioned it may be related to protein ingestion... normally I have to shakes of whey protein per day (morning night) and 2 portions of chicken/beef each lunch and night...

Do you think I'm being excessive with protein intake?? (normally I workout 3 days per week / 2 hours per day)

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Caoimhin

I'm having trouble accessing the Vitabot app please help.

I left a message on your BOARD

You need to be a PLATINUM member to use the meal planner.

Please login to your account and go to MY LOCKER -> MY ACCOUNT and change your membership to PLATINUM.

Be sure to join us in the FORUMS for all your fitness questions and to engage with the rest of the community! #HTH

Thanks!

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: gabo1087

HI Scott,

I have some doubts, in the last month I've been suffering a lot of back pain, at the beginning I thought it was because I was excersing a lot, but some people mentioned it may be related to protein ingestion... normally I have to shakes of whey protein per day (morning night) and 2 portions of chicken/beef each lunch and night...

Do you think I'm being excessive with protein intake?? (normally I workout 3 days per week / 2 hours per day)

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel

It doesnt sound like it at all @gabo1087

IF you can count your macros and give us all the numbers in grams for protein, carbs and fat, we can take a closer look.

Start a new forum thread under MUSCLE GAIN or WEIGHT LOSS, whichever is your goal.

See you there!

sprdave
sprdave g Super Dave
5 Post(s)
5 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Injury Recovery Date Joined: May 5, 2014
Posted

Scott, I am 48 years old and have been BodyBuilding since Jr. High School (Middle School), and I have a question for you and the Forum.

I am not as defined as you, but I am not small either, I have been pumping iron for a very long time with no issues.. until this past couple of years in my left elbow..

"I get Tennis Elbow and Golfers Elbow everytime after my Bicep workouts" This has been happening now for about two years, I have tried negatives with dumbbells and the FlexiBar which has helped, but everytime after I have a bicep workout anymore, it feels like tendonitis in my Bicep and Outer Elbow, and sometimes my inner elbow. I have not made any gains for the past two years and am getting frustrated. Any suggestions? Do I have an imbalance somewhere? I am not curling real heavy (75 lbs on an easy curl bar, and that is about half of what I have done in the past)

Any advise on what to do to avoid this injury and be able to curl again without elbow tendonitis evertime I work out?

Many Thanks,

Dav

sprdave
sprdave g Super Dave
5 Post(s)
Posted

Scott, I am 48 years old and have been BodyBuilding since Jr. High School (Middle School), and I have a question for you and the Forum.

I am not as defined as you, but I am not small either, I have been pumping iron for a very long time with no issues.. until this past couple of years in my left elbow..

"I get Tennis Elbow and Golfers Elbow everytime after my Bicep workouts" This has been happening now for about two years, I have tried negatives with dumbbells and the FlexiBar which has helped, but everytime after I have a bicep workout anymore, it feels like tendonitis in my Bicep and Outer Elbow, and sometimes my inner elbow. I have not made any gains for the past two years and am getting frustrated. Any suggestions? Do I have an imbalance somewhere? I am not curling real heavy (75 lbs on an easy curl bar, and that is about half of what I have done in the past)

Any advise on what to do to avoid this injury and be able to curl again without elbow tendonitis evertime I work out?

Many Thanks,

Dav

Whisper
Whisper p+ Kostas Kroustaloudis
687 Post(s)
687 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Train for a sport Date Joined: September 9, 2011
Posted
Posted By: sprdave

Many Thanks,

Dav

Usually problems around your core, end up manifesting in your arms and legs. It could be a variety of reasons why you develop inflammation after curling. Have you tried doing chin-ups instead of curls?

The most common cause for forearm inflammation is tight biceps coupled with postural kyphosis. We cant give you advice over the internet though. You have pain for 2 years and you havent visited a doctor? You should go to an experienced physical therapist who will examine you and reveal your muscular imbalances. See, problem with bodybuilding is that it develops a LOT of muscular imbalances all over the body. Bicep curls alone can be a destructive exercise if you do not counter its effects with exercises like deadlifts, face pulls and stretching/mobility work every day.

Kostas

Muscular Strength Athlete and Content Manager 6 Years Lifting Experience Bachelors in Molecular Chemistry/Biochemistry, Working towards Masters Lifting Style & Philosophy : Aikido, Energy, Balance, Flexibility, Posture
sprdave
sprdave g Super Dave
5 Post(s)
Posted

Thanks for the information!! Yes.. I have been to a Professioanal Sports Doctor (For the college football team doctor, I have been to re-hab. Thus the "Negative" progam he put me on). 60 reps with each arm "negatives only" which helped a lot!!! It did get rid of the bicep tendonitis.

I did that for two years.. so the other day I decided that I was not making any gains just doing the "rehab" so I started up my regular bicep workouts, and get the same origainal pain back. Very, very tight left bicep, and very, very sore (not a good sore, and golfers elbow)

I will make an appt for a follow up and let him know what is going on. Like I mentioned, I have been bodybuilding all my life, and it has only been since hittng my 40's, I have not been able to make any gains, all I get now days is injuries and tendonitis. I just don't get it. I have always had good form, not lifted beyond my means etc... It just seems like I do not have the elastisity in my tendons anymore. I certainly do not ever want to stop bodybuilding, but never making any gains and always in pain is no fun anymore.

Thanks,

Dave

Whisper
Whisper p+ Kostas Kroustaloudis
687 Post(s)
687 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Train for a sport Date Joined: September 9, 2011
Posted
Posted By: sprdave

Thanks for the information!! Yes.. I have been to a Professioanal Sports Doctor (For the college football team doctor, I have been to re-hab. Thus the "Negative" progam he put me on). 60 reps with each arm "negatives only" which helped a lot!!! It did get rid of the bicep tendonitis.

I did that for two years.. so the other day I decided that I was not making any gains just doing the "rehab" so I started up my regular bicep workouts, and get the same origainal pain back. Very, very tight left bicep, and very, very sore (not a good sore, and golfers elbow)

I will make an appt for a follow up and let him know what is going on. Like I mentioned, I have been bodybuilding all my life, and it has only been since hittng my 40's, I have not been able to make any gains, all I get now days is injuries and tendonitis. I just don't get it. I have always had good form, not lifted beyond my means etc... It just seems like I do not have the elastisity in my tendons anymore. I certainly do not ever want to stop bodybuilding, but never making any gains and always in pain is no fun anymore.

Thanks,

Dave

First of all, bodybuilding is not the only way to make gains. There are other options as well.
Secondly, I wouldnt go to this doctor again. Go to a real physical therapist that understands basic biomechanics. Most peoples knees hurt and they think its their knees, when its actually their lower back/hip flexors/adductors or it can even be their neck. What he did is masked the problem by putting you on negatives. He didnt go up to the source and try to eliminate it.
And finally, even though you have bbing a lot of years that doesnt mean that injuries dont accumulate. For example, science dictates that knee extensions is a very dangerous exercise. You will snap something in your knees today, tomorrow, after 20 years. Its just a matter of time. Or you might be lucky and never develop any pain, but we cant base our health on pure luck. So I will say again that you might have been bicep curling 30 years but it just adds up. The way I see it, there are 2 options. a) The problem is the source. This means, stop doing any pulling exercises that irritate the elbow and start stretching and strengthening. Stretch the biceps and the wrist flexors, strengthen the wrist extensors. This way you bring balance to the area. Think about it. If the extensors are too weak, they are forced to work ovetime, and they get inflammed. The flexors on the other hand are way too tight (tonic) and they get inflammed as a result of that. So you end up with messed up elbows. b) The source is somewhere else. As I said, you need a good P.T. to judge that. No chiropractors and football doctors though.

Muscular Strength Athlete and Content Manager 6 Years Lifting Experience Bachelors in Molecular Chemistry/Biochemistry, Working towards Masters Lifting Style & Philosophy : Aikido, Energy, Balance, Flexibility, Posture
sprdave
sprdave g Super Dave
5 Post(s)
Posted

Whisper, good advice. I have a PT located in my gym. I have to be referred to by my family doctor, but have been there before, and they know their stuff!!! I also have had great success doing this: This has really helped me. But like you said. We need to get to the source of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2QQaVfeI4U

drogo
drogo g Pete Berney
2 Post(s)
2 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: May 5, 2014
Posted

Hey scott! huge fan! Your workout routines are without a doubt THE BEST! I've expirenced more toning, shaping and overall strengthing in the last couple months then I have since I first maxed out my beginer gains! You sir are a genius! I've been wathcing your videos for about 2 1/2 months now and finnally decided to join the nation!

I had a quick question. If I lift heavy four days straight working chest to arms to shoulders to legs with one day of rest at the end, am I overtraining? Do I need more rest time? I was told that it takes the body 48 hrs to recover from a heavy lift is this true? I always make sure to eat enough and get enough sleep, but do I need to change my rest time if I want to see maximum gains?

Harley1962
Harley1962 g Harley Baldwin
50 Post(s)
50 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: March 3, 2014
Posted

Sorry if this has been asked before, but in searching the site it seems that in order to attach a video to a forum post (or to one's profile) IT MUST be done via a YouTube link....??

So if I do not post my personal video to YouTube, there is NO WAY to simply attach an .MP4 file (25 second video) to my post to a particular forum?

I wanted to post my deadlift video in "Form Check" forum, but when I click on the video icon there is NO option to simply "attach" the .MP4 to it?

Am I missing something, or do I HAVE to post my vid to YouTube first??

Thanks in advance!

Harley

«
Page 5 of 30 ▾
»
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .