Page 2 of 4 ▾
»
philflorey
philflorey g Phil McAuliffe
163 Post(s)
163 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Lose Fat Date Joined: March 3, 2013
Posted

Hey Kostas

Thanks for seeking input. At the risk of giving myself many, many future negative rep points for the lame post, I'd be totally supportive of any moves that further encourage the exchange of information in such a positive way. This aspect is probably the site's best feature and it doesn't come from any points system, just the awesomeness of the people on here.

If you'd asked me way early on what I thought would be good for the site, I would have said the ability to search for people by location. However, now I wouldn't want to see this feature - or at least I'd like to be able to disable it. If this feature was available, I would have probably missed the friendships with people all over the place if I had just focussed on friending people in my own country.

Cheers heaps!

Eat like a man Train like a beast Operate like a gentlemen Become a legend
Whisper
Whisper p+ Kostas Kroustaloudis
687 Post(s)
687 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Train for a sport Date Joined: September 9, 2011
Posted
Posted By: Nipunsharma

So are you the only person who is updating the site or there is anybody else? i doubt scott knows any coding

Okay HTML 5 that's cool it walks hand in hand with CSS, actually i am pursuing Computer Science Engineering so i am familiar with different programming languages like C, C++, Java, and even i also gave some time to pawn scripting mostly used in online games etc.

I will be happy to help in coding but i doubt that you need any.

Yeah i understand the coding pain, always happen to me when i am using Turbo C++. These 2 images depect the pain of the coders :P

By the way what is the expected time for the launch of these updates? i mean like a month or 2?

Scott has a team working on coding. I ve taken up working for suggestions and making the site better so that more people will want to join and get more knowledge the fun way. Not the grindy way.

We want to update within 1 month from now.

Muscular Strength Athlete and Content Manager 6 Years Lifting Experience Bachelors in Molecular Chemistry/Biochemistry, Working towards Masters Lifting Style & Philosophy : Aikido, Energy, Balance, Flexibility, Posture
Whisper
687 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: jmboiardi

Nipun has some great suggestions. I especially like the color ranking things for both knowledge and "clout" as well as for those who choose not to initiate or respond to conersations in a positive manner.

John

I agree. I ll try to work these things in for sure. Thanx for the input John

Muscular Strength Athlete and Content Manager 6 Years Lifting Experience Bachelors in Molecular Chemistry/Biochemistry, Working towards Masters Lifting Style & Philosophy : Aikido, Energy, Balance, Flexibility, Posture
Whisper
687 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: philflorey

Hey Kostas

Thanks for seeking input. At the risk of giving myself many, many future negative rep points for the lame post, I'd be totally supportive of any moves that further encourage the exchange of information in such a positive way. This aspect is probably the site's best feature and it doesn't come from any points system, just the awesomeness of the people on here.

If you'd asked me way early on what I thought would be good for the site, I would have said the ability to search for people by location. However, now I wouldn't want to see this feature - or at least I'd like to be able to disable it. If this feature was available, I would have probably missed the friendships with people all over the place if I had just focussed on friending people in my own country.

Cheers heaps!

No negative points for you Phil...for now at least muahahaha :D

Yea, the point system is just a fan way to get to know the site. The new point system is going to be great. Right now in order to gain points you do this :

- You look how to gain points
- You go do those grindy things
- You gain points

But I m making it like this :

- Automatically earn points for everything you re doing, from making friends..to writing a recipe..to liking someone's post..to answering pop quiz..

But as you said the overall goal is to create associations between people. The new site will not have "super hermanites". It will have different ranking officers. I will make it my goal to promote people who are helpful and sociable to higher levels so that the exchange of information is achieved in the best possible way. For example I wouldnt have you at lvl 4. I would probably get you up to lvl 5 or 6 ( 9 is the maximum right now)

Whisper
687 Post(s)
Posted

1) Article, Recipe, Meal, Store system are fine, they will get a better look when the site gets a better look.

2) Adding a body pic (front and back), muscles get highlighted when you move cursor at specific body part (like biceps, triceps, lats, rhombhoids, calves, quads, etc) in detail (like bicep has long and short head, etc) and when you click on specific body part the exercises open up for that body part.

3) Exercise database with search filters (like compound, isolation, equipment used like cable, dumbbell, barbell, etc) and also with demo videos or pictures and also with a pic to specify which part of the muscle group the exercise targets. (upto you guys to keep it for gold too or for just platinum, this may exist at the moment for platinum but i don't know). This is where members can rate and comment on that exercise.

example - Exercise: Barbell Flat Bench Press

Type: Compound

Primary Muscle worked: Chest

Secondary Muscle: Triceps, Shoulders

Equipment: Barbell, Bench

Rating: 9.5/10 (55 ratings)

and below this a video demo or thumbnails (or Both) showing the correct movement of the exercise.

and below this demo a picture of the body highlighting the Primary muscle worked (highlighted in red) and Secondary muscle worked ( highlighted in blue)

4) top 10 supplements category, where people rate different type of supplements and different type of brands of a specific supplement (like rating the exercise section) like whey protein (ON, BSN, MusclePharm, etc), creatine, BCAA, fatburners, etc.

Excellent excellent. Thanx Nipun and everybody else. FYI, I have a pencil and paper here and I m taking thorough notes :)

JoeHurricane
JoeHurricane p Jordan Matthews
1.5K Post(s)
1.5K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Whisper

Hey everybody, what is up!?

Now is the time to make suggestions for the site. Anything you want to see different, or you want implemented, dont be afraid to say it here. And who knows, maybe we will add it in the site very..very soon. Also, let me just mention, that people who help with recommendations and suggestions for the site, will definitely be rewarded one way or the other. Depending on the contribution, rewards might include stuff like BSN prizes, free skype advice, free SHF apparel, youtube shoutouts etc etc.

Suggestions may include anything from the forums, to articles/recipes, to the point system and the ranking system. Anything at all.

#HTH!
Kostas

Hey Kostas.

I have wondered if you maybe wanted to make it so that you get a notification from any thread you post on?

I realise it could get frustrating if you just put a random post on a thread and then there are lots of other comments on it, but it would be helpful for keeping track of when people respond to what you have given as an answer, but they don't use the 'reply with quote' option.

Also, making the latest thread posts automatically move to the top of the forum they are in. For example, you may be able to see on the main page with all forums that there has been a post '9 hours ago', but that may be in a very old thread. If that thread then moved automatically to the top of the particular forum section, that would be a good idea I think.

Some pretty good ideas from @nipunsharma ! Sounds like you are doing a solid job with this Kostas.

That's all I've got for now :)

#HTH!

SHF Athlete MS Athlete Partial Fitness YouTuber
Whisper
687 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: JoeHurricane

Hey Kostas.

I have wondered if you maybe wanted to make it so that you get a notification from any thread you post on?

I realise it could get frustrating if you just put a random post on a thread and then there are lots of other comments on it, but it would be helpful for keeping track of when people respond to what you have given as an answer, but they don't use the 'reply with quote' option.

Also, making the latest thread posts automatically move to the top of the forum they are in. For example, you may be able to see on the main page with all forums that there has been a post '9 hours ago', but that may be in a very old thread. If that thread then moved automatically to the top of the particular forum section, that would be a good idea I think.

Some pretty good ideas from @nipunsharma ! Sounds like you are doing a solid job with this Kostas.

That's all I've got for now :)

#HTH!

hey man. First of all thanx for the input :D

- I already thought of that but I m not sure how to handle it. If people dont use the reply with quote options it gets tricky. Especially us moderators, we cant have 1000 notifications for threads we posted in. We probably will have moderators close a thread when a "best answer" has been upvoted but still..what you re saying is valid. Sometimes people respond to my posts but I never see them and then they get frustrated. If they at least used the @someone system (tagging), it would be so much easier. I m confused about this :S

- This will be done! It should have been done months ago.

- Oh man, you cant imagine how cool the site is. I have thought of some amazing ways to earn points without getting grindy. You are at almost 5 levels btw, which is impressive. You are not a Super Hermanite are you? We should change that ;)

Nipunsharma
Nipunsharma g Nipun Sharma
70 Post(s)
70 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: July 7, 2014
Posted

Excellent excellent. Thanx Nipun and everybody else. FYI, I have a pencil and paper here and I m taking thorough notes :)

No problem buddy, that's cool that you have taken that responsibility, and we all are eagerly waiting for the updates.

How about a section where members can apply to become forum moderators after they passed some specific demands for the application like 'x' number of posts (no spams), 'x' number reputation power, 'x' number of best answer award, total time online, etc

After they have achieved those demands they can qualify to apply for the moderators and admin can choose the moderator from those applicants, and if any moderator doesn't follow specific rules then he/she can be removed from that moderator post by the admin.

Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw, and I conquered. Started Lifting December 2012, almost 2 years of lifting experience. Age 19, Pursuing Computer Science engineering.
Whisper
687 Post(s)
Posted

No problem buddy, that's cool that you have taken that responsibility, and we all are eagerly waiting for the updates.

How about a section where members can apply to become forum moderators after they passed some specific demands for the application like 'x' number of posts (no spams), 'x' number reputation power, 'x' number of best answer award, total time online, etc

After they have achieved those demands they can qualify to apply for the moderators and admin can choose the moderator from those applicants, and if any moderator doesn't follow specific rules then he/she can be removed from that moderator post by the admin.

I m thinking it should work out like this : Maximum lvl will be lvl 9 and thats Scott. Lvls 6-8 will be moderators. Once someone fills out all lvl 5 points, they will have opportunity to take on a quiz/some questions and reach level 6. These people will have certain powers and benefits as well as awards. Right now we have a lot of Super Hermanites, who will be converted into moderators in the updated site. Obviously there is always room for more, so I will monitor everybody and try to find people who are helpful. You dont even have to have amazing fitness knowledge. I just want sociable people who can keep everybody together.

Nipunsharma
70 Post(s)
Posted

I m thinking it should work out like this : Maximum lvl will be lvl 9 and thats Scott. Lvls 6-8 will be moderators. Once someone fills out all lvl 5 points, they will have opportunity to take on a quiz/some questions and reach level 6. These people will have certain powers and benefits as well as awards. Right now we have a lot of Super Hermanites, who will be converted into moderators in the updated site. Obviously there is always room for more, so I will monitor everybody and try to find people who are helpful. You dont even have to have amazing fitness knowledge. I just want sociable people who can keep everybody together.

Oh okay that's cool too, sounds great, yeah fitness knowledge shouldn't be important to become a moderator, will be looking forward to it.

Keep up the good work.

I will post again if something else bumps up in my head.

Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw, and I conquered. Started Lifting December 2012, almost 2 years of lifting experience. Age 19, Pursuing Computer Science engineering.
Marcel71
Marcel71 g Marcel Giel
33 Post(s)
33 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: March 3, 2014
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

SITE SPEED!!!

The new site will be much faster @Marcel71

IT was one of the big things we worked on :)

Perfect news Scott, because this speed is holding me back from visiting this site... sorry

d.d. 16-10-14......
philflorey
163 Post(s)
Posted

No negative points for you Phil...for now at least muahahaha :D

Yea, the point system is just a fan way to get to know the site. The new point system is going to be great. Right now in order to gain points you do this :

- You look how to gain points
- You go do those grindy things
- You gain points

But I m making it like this :

- Automatically earn points for everything you re doing, from making friends..to writing a recipe..to liking someone's post..to answering pop quiz..

But as you said the overall goal is to create associations between people. The new site will not have "super hermanites". It will have different ranking officers. I will make it my goal to promote people who are helpful and sociable to higher levels so that the exchange of information is achieved in the best possible way. For example I wouldnt have you at lvl 4. I would probably get you up to lvl 5 or 6 ( 9 is the maximum right now)

Thanks Kostas!

I'm supportive if it means I get a promotion!!! =)

I just had another idea: would it be possible to fix the time stamps? The timing never appears to be correct. For example, I posted a comment on a forum or a person's board and a week later, it would show that I made the comments three days earlier. I'm no maths genius, but last time I went to school there were seven days in a week!

A minor point that I hope has a minor fix!

Again, thanks for doing this work

Whisper
687 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: philflorey

Thanks Kostas!

I'm supportive if it means I get a promotion!!! =)

I just had another idea: would it be possible to fix the time stamps? The timing never appears to be correct. For example, I posted a comment on a forum or a person's board and a week later, it would show that I made the comments three days earlier. I'm no maths genius, but last time I went to school there were seven days in a week!

A minor point that I hope has a minor fix!

Again, thanks for doing this work

hmm! After you commented on this thread, did anyone else comment beneath your post? If so, it would display the time that the last comment "happened". If your post is last and it just messes up the time stamp, then yea its a minor glitch. Will look into that.

Mcmike
Mcmike g Michael Benedict Ramos
458 Post(s)
458 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted

1) Article, Recipe, Meal, Store system are fine, they will get a better look when the site gets a better look.

2) Adding a body pic (front and back), muscles get highlighted when you move cursor at specific body part (like biceps, triceps, lats, rhombhoids, calves, quads, etc) in detail (like bicep has long and short head, etc) and when you click on specific body part the exercises open up for that body part.

3) Exercise database with search filters (like compound, isolation, equipment used like cable, dumbbell, barbell, etc) and also with demo videos or pictures and also with a pic to specify which part of the muscle group the exercise targets. (upto you guys to keep it for gold too or for just platinum, this may exist at the moment for platinum but i don't know). This is where members can rate and comment on that exercise.

example - Exercise: Barbell Flat Bench Press

Type: Compound

Primary Muscle worked: Chest

Secondary Muscle: Triceps, Shoulders

Equipment: Barbell, Bench

Rating: 9.5/10 (55 ratings)

and below this a video demo or thumbnails (or Both) showing the correct movement of the exercise.

and below this demo a picture of the body highlighting the Primary muscle worked (highlighted in red) and Secondary muscle worked ( highlighted in blue)

4) top 10 supplements category, where people rate different type of supplements and different type of brands of a specific supplement (like rating the exercise section) like whey protein (ON, BSN, MusclePharm, etc), creatine, BCAA, fatburners, etc.

I liked number 2,3 and 4 suggestions.. but it looks similar to the bodybuilding.com features. In this way everyone can pick the right exercises hitting the parts of specific muscle they want to improve. Its good actually!.

( Beginner ) 1 Year Lifting Experience Bachelor of Science in Marketing Management Don't be afraid to make mistakes, face failure and fall, because most of the time, the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most. You'll get everything you wish for... just focus and work on it. And you'll get more than you could ever have imagined. Who knows where life will take you. The road is long, and in the end - - the journey is the destination.
philflorey
163 Post(s)
Posted

hmm! After you commented on this thread, did anyone else comment beneath your post? If so, it would display the time that the last comment "happened". If your post is last and it just messes up the time stamp, then yea its a minor glitch. Will look into that.

Hey Kostas

Sorry, I was wrong. It doesn't affect the forums but it does affect the messages left on boards. Sorry for any confusion.

Cheers

Nipunsharma
70 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Mcmike

I liked number 2,3 and 4 suggestions.. but it looks similar to the bodybuilding.com features. In this way everyone can pick the right exercises hitting the parts of specific muscle they want to improve. Its good actually!.

yeah you can say that its similar to bodybuilding.com but this thing is already in SHF forums but it is reserved for platinum members only, but since the site getting a face lift graphics and speed wise so why not make some difference in this stuff too and top 10 supplements is something which will be based on experience and the site will have something new and different which might result in learning something new which is the main point.

«
Page 2 of 4 ▾
»
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .