«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: Mcmike

The only thing I can see captain is.... you are born with a great self discipline skills  How do we break bad habits such as eating and workout habits? DISCIPLINE (self-control) is the answer, well I consider discipline as the first and the most important behavior in fitness.

We are not all born with a great self discipline skills, but there are ways on how to improve it and we must be. And it will be so hard and it takes time to get that DISCIPLINE word.

WHAT DID YOU DO? same question that my friend always ask me.

Well, so happy to say that I'm also born with a great discipline skills like you. When it comes to eating habit. I'm not denying that I eat clean all the time but with my experience in fitness.. we don't have to sacrifice the food we love to eat which is consider as unhealthy. And I discovered it for myself that I can still eat my favorite foods.. I find ways to make them healthy. . making recipe research.. trial and error. It took a lot of discipline on this part.

In workout routine, we also need discipline here. Most of the people I know here in our gym change their workout routine frequently and a few months later they are wondering why they can't see a result.. that's because they have no discipline to stick to the workout routine.

OH BY THE WAY CAPTAIN.... I GOT THIS TOPIC IN MY WRITINGS 

JUST GO WITH THE FLOW NATION

Thanks @Mcmike

You are definitely a great motivator that is for sure. Now I definitely can't wait to read what you are writing for the FAQs.

Thanks for the kind words man. You are the best!

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
bbickle
bbickle g Braden Bickle
2 Post(s)
2 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Injury Recovery Date Joined: February 2, 2014
Posted

Bad shoulders with Bicept Curls

I have some asymetrical shoulder behavior that is happening when I do bicep curls with a bar. Happens with dumbells too I guess. As things get harder my left shoulder wants to raise up. Then, when it gets weakest it just drops completely and I can't finish the set.

Any suggestsions? Should I just drop weight and try and let my shoulders catch up? The rest of my form is right. Just something with the shoulders.

Probably not enought information for you to truly help me but maybe there are some tips off the top of your head I could try.

Whisper
Whisper p+ Kostas Kroustaloudis
687 Post(s)
687 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Train for a sport Date Joined: September 9, 2011
Posted
Posted By: bbickle

Bad shoulders with Bicept Curls

I have some asymetrical shoulder behavior that is happening when I do bicep curls with a bar. Happens with dumbells too I guess. As things get harder my left shoulder wants to raise up. Then, when it gets weakest it just drops completely and I can't finish the set.

Any suggestsions? Should I just drop weight and try and let my shoulders catch up? The rest of my form is right. Just something with the shoulders.

Probably not enought information for you to truly help me but maybe there are some tips off the top of your head I could try.

Your trap is too tight on the side that your shoulder raises up. Dont forget that the main function of the traps is to raise the shoulder. So what happens is your shoulder gets raised for the majority of the set and then the trap dies off so your shoulder drops and you cant complete your set. Start stretching your tight trap and keep in mind that tight biceps and chest can contribute to tightening of the traps so start stretching those too. 2 times a day should be good to see quick results.

Muscular Strength Athlete and Content Manager 6 Years Lifting Experience Bachelors in Molecular Chemistry/Biochemistry, Working towards Masters Lifting Style & Philosophy : Aikido, Energy, Balance, Flexibility, Posture
bbickle
bbickle g Braden Bickle
2 Post(s)
2 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Injury Recovery Date Joined: February 2, 2014
Posted

That's great advise.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but that side of my neck is always tight. I get it out of wack when I sleep a lot.

There are a lot of stretches listed on the web in various places but I'm a little leary of some of the tips people give out there that don't know what they are doing.

Is there a link on this site, other sites or a simple explanation of great stretches to do?

I'll be interested to see if this starts to help my neck overall as well.

Thanks Whisper

Hawk_Given
Hawk_Given g Hawk Given
170 Post(s)
170 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: November 11, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

Thanks for all the helpful advice @jmboiardi @ABrowning @FuelYourFitness @johnaggro @Whisper @Impulse @JoeHurricane @Adawg38 @Hawk_Given @philflorey and @wbxue

At the end of the day, I just need to get it done and stick to it.

Although @whisper I like your idea the best. Get someone to do my dirty work for me... If only.... haha

You know, I am putting together a video all about testosterone production and a recent study showed that males getting only 5- hours of sleep a night dropped their T levels by 10-15% after ONE WEEK.

That's enough for me to make the change and make it permanent! MORE SLEEP, MORE SLEEP!

philflorey
wbxue

Funny, You should mention this about testosterone. I did my own study on myself, not most scientific, but very interesting to me that supports what you are saying. Mine went down more than that after 2-weeks of stress, lack of sleep, too much coffee, and etc.

Can't wait to see the video!!

MS Athlete BS, Medical Technology (ASCP) BS, Organizational Leadership and Supervision I Give God all the glory! That is where I find true strength!
KyleConnelly
KyleConnelly g Kyle Connelly
1 Post(s)
1 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: April 4, 2014
Posted

@Scott_Herman Hey Scott I read a peer reviewed paper a couple of months back on exactly this matter and a correlation between the usage of electronics before going to bed. It basically stated that the light that comes from your phone, laptop etc is bright enough to disrupt your brain (basically tricking your circadian clock) and keeping you awake. The way to combat this is to stop using electronics an hour before your desired tone of sleep. So give that one a shot :)

HTH
FireFistAce
FireFistAce g Shamir Dickens
8 Post(s)
8 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: June 6, 2012
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

Even though I can tell I am making gains this #FLEXFRIDAY, I seem to have hit a wall that is holding me back.

My life for too long has consisted of staying up too late which leads to either sleeping in too long, or waking up early and being basically dead for the entire day.

But how do you break a bad habit? It’s much harder than people think. For me, things like candies, or treats or soda I can stop anytime. It’s just a matter of not putting the junk in my mouth.

But a sleeping schedule? It’s just something I am having the hardest time with. In my head I am tormented that if I go to bed early, I won’t get as much done as I usually do if I stay up late. I have convinced myself that I am more productive at night.

We are very good at convincing ourselves about stuff like this and the stress of going to be early to wake up early to get more done in the beginning of the day now keeps me awake at night because I think I should be working.

It’s a vicious cycle, but I am determined to break it.

We all have our bad habits and when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle we need to be disciplined in all aspects of our life. Not just the gym.

I am going to break this horrible cycle Nation. I have big plans for this year and I need to be as productive as possible.

Have any of you had to break a bad sleep cycle before? What did you do? The Captain could use a little help on this one! (Obviously “go to bed early” is an easy answer, but it’s much harder than that for me! Lol)

What are some bad habits you’ve have Hermanites? How did you overcome them?

I have the same bad habit.

When I went to buy a new bed they told that I could make my bedroom/bed a place where I wanna go to.

You wouldn't wanna go to a messy bedroom/bed. Just like the beach, it's a place where you go to relax.

If you change the color of your bedroom, bedsheets, scent (buy some glade scented candles) basically the whole vibe of your bedroom.

You will trick your mind into wanting to go to bed early. (because it's a place where you wanna go to relax your mind and body)

PS don't sleep with lights on or music on.

Get shredded or die mirin.
Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: FireFistAce

I have the same bad habit.

When I went to buy a new bed they told that I could make my bedroom/bed a place where I wanna go to.

You wouldn't wanna go to a messy bedroom/bed. Just like the beach, it's a place where you go to relax.

If you change the color of your bedroom, bedsheets, scent (buy some glade scented candles) basically the whole vibe of your bedroom.

You will trick your mind into wanting to go to bed early. (because it's a place where you wanna go to relax your mind and body)

PS don't sleep with lights on or music on.

That is very true @FireFistAce... I think once I finish my bedroom I will sleep better. Still need to paint the walls and buy a few things

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: KyleConnelly

@Scott_Herman Hey Scott I read a peer reviewed paper a couple of months back on exactly this matter and a correlation between the usage of electronics before going to bed. It basically stated that the light that comes from your phone, laptop etc is bright enough to disrupt your brain (basically tricking your circadian clock) and keeping you awake. The way to combat this is to stop using electronics an hour before your desired tone of sleep. So give that one a shot :)

Oh awesome @kyleConnelly, that sounds about right haha.. I will put that info to good use! #HTH #SHFAthlete

«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .