Skip to main content

The close-grip bench press! Maximize Tricep Growth!

Are you doing it right? Elbows, shoulders and wrists hurt?

Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted

Looking to maximize your tricep growth?

Don't leave gains behind due to improper form on one of the best exercises to train your triceps.

The close-grip bench press targets all three heads of the triceps, but in my experience most people have the wrong set-up and end up putting too much pressure in the wrists, elbows and shoulders which does a few things. Restricts range of motion and greatly reduces your maximum output.

You will be surprised how much more weight you can load on the bar with the simple tips in this video!

Check it out now in the exclusive section of http://muscularstrength.com/exclusive-content

Not a platinum member? Join today for one month free!
Promo code: FREEFITNESS

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
Mcmike
Mcmike g Michael Benedict Ramos
458 Post(s)
458 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

Don't leave gains behind due to improper form on one of the best exercises to train your triceps.

The close-grip bench press targets all three heads of the triceps, but in my experience most people have the wrong set-up and end up putting too much pressure in the wrists, elbows and shoulders which does a few things. Restricts range of motion and greatly reduces your maximum output.

You will be surprised how much more weight you can load on the bar with the simple tips in this video!

Check it out now in the exclusive section of http://muscularstrength.com/exclusive-content

Love this workout for triceps.. and ohhhh plus skull crusher! = MAXIMUM TRICEPS

( Beginner ) 1 Year Lifting Experience Bachelor of Science in Marketing Management Don't be afraid to make mistakes, face failure and fall, because most of the time, the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most. You'll get everything you wish for... just focus and work on it. And you'll get more than you could ever have imagined. Who knows where life will take you. The road is long, and in the end - - the journey is the destination.
amy_m_huston
amy_m_huston g Amy Huston
4 Post(s)
4 Post(s) Gender: Female Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: August 8, 2012
Posted

I feel like I'm always doing something wrong when doing those. My hands hurt, from my thumb and across the rest of my hand, so not necessarily my wrist. Is there something I can do to correct this or is it just a weakness?

Daniel_Meyer
Daniel_Meyer g Daniel Meyer
518 Post(s)
518 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

Great video buddy! I really love the CGBP as my heavy movement for triceps.

Sport Rehabilitation BSc GSR Sport Rehabilitator and S&C coach at Boston United FC Super Hermanite Twitter: Daniel_Meyer99
JoeHurricane
JoeHurricane p Jordan Matthews
1.5K Post(s)
1.5K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted
Posted By: amy_m_huston

I feel like I'm always doing something wrong when doing those. My hands hurt, from my thumb and across the rest of my hand, so not necessarily my wrist. Is there something I can do to correct this or is it just a weakness?

It could be to do with the placement of your thumb. Do you have it wrapped around the bar and tight with your fingers, or are you using more of a monkey grip where your thumb isn't actually warpped around the bar?

Do you have this problem with any other barbell exercises?

Jordan

SHF Athlete MS Athlete Partial Fitness YouTuber
amy_m_huston
4 Post(s)
Posted

I notice it also with skull crushers with the barbell. My grip is around the barbell, something I need to tighten though?

Adawg38
Adawg38 g Aaron Henry
563 Post(s)
563 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted

Have you ever had any injurt to your thumbs and/or palms?

I have been training coming up on 6 years and have made some great gainz. I've done a lot of trial and error on myself as well as learned from others and through research online. I've come along way in strength and size since I've started. I will continue to learn and make myself better each day. MS Athlete/Super Hermanite BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE, BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL.
Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Hey @Amy_M_Huston, can you post a video of your form? You can upload it to YouTube as UNLISTED, and then post the URL here for us. Only we will be able to see it, it wont be public on YouTube.

Also, did you watch the video in the exclusive section? I go very indepth on form

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Daniel_Meyer

Great video buddy! I really love the CGBP as my heavy movement for triceps.

Thanks bro! yeah I love this exercise.. feels great with a lot of weight! No elbow pain! haha

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

I notice it also with skull crushers with the barbell. My grip is around the barbell, something I need to tighten though?

A loose grip can cause issues for sure. Always graba s tight as possible!

amy_m_huston
4 Post(s)
Posted

I'll keep an eye on that going forward, it is the only time I have noticed my grip is loose. I'll check out the video before the next session. Thank you guys!

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

I'll keep an eye on that going forward, it is the only time I have noticed my grip is loose. I'll check out the video before the next session. Thank you guys!

Anytime! Happy to help @amy_M_huston!

muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .