Skip to main content

Feel like you are getting weak while trying to build muscle?

Here is a quick tip to help you stay strong while building lean muscle

«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: JoeHurricane

Scott, when you include a 5x5 lift into your routine, would you include that as part of your 16 working sets, or would you do a 5x5 and then also do 16 working sets on top of that?

#HTH!

No, I don't count it as part of the actual working sets brotha :) #HTH

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: nate_dawg

Scott, this is exactly what me and Jon used to do. We would start off each workout routine for the week with a 5X5, a lot of the ones you mentioned yourself and then we'd do the rest of the routine hypertrophy based. Doing the 5X5 first is actually going to make you feel much stronger on the rest of the lifts in your routine and it really helps to activate those deep, deep muscle fibers that aren't activated as much with light-moderate weight. This is a great training method and it has increased me and Jon's bench max by over 60 lbs! #HTH

I agree, you defintiely activate some deep muscle fibers. You two have been getting VERY strong lately. Having a good workout partner is key to maximizing your lifting at the gym! You two keep tearing it up! #HTH

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: hur1coco

Oooh, that sounds good, thanks, Scott!

Had to look up what 5x5 is, now I'm smarter - will definitely include that in my weight training!

haha love it Kassi! You learn something new everyday! #HTH

Daniel_Meyer
Daniel_Meyer g Daniel Meyer
518 Post(s)
518 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted

During my hypertrophy training I always select a compound movement that I have to progress with every training session. For example, on my leg day I have to progress with BB back squats whether it be reps or weight. This way I know I'm increasing my strength whilst training for hypertrophy.

Sport Rehabilitation BSc GSR Sport Rehabilitator and S&C coach at Boston United FC Super Hermanite Twitter: Daniel_Meyer99
nate_dawg
nate_dawg g Nathan Bishop
453 Post(s)
453 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: December 12, 1969
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

I agree, you defintiely activate some deep muscle fibers. You two have been getting VERY strong lately. Having a good workout partner is key to maximizing your lifting at the gym! You two keep tearing it up! #HTH

For sure man!! We are repping 225 on the bench press now! #HTH

JoeHurricane
JoeHurricane p Jordan Matthews
1.5K Post(s)
1.5K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

No, I don't count it as part of the actual working sets brotha :) #HTH

Sweet. I have been working on changing up my routine, and added a 5X5 at the start of my workouts, except I was including that as part of the actual working sets. Now I will be able to hit it even harder next week, by doing that AND my actual working sets :)

#HTH!

SHF Athlete MS Athlete Partial Fitness YouTuber
Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Daniel_Meyer

During my hypertrophy training I always select a compound movement that I have to progress with every training session. For example, on my leg day I have to progress with BB back squats whether it be reps or weight. This way I know I'm increasing my strength whilst training for hypertrophy.

Funny you mention that Daniel. I have been working on my back squats too with a HIGH BAR.. I am finally up to 5x5 with 295.. damn... with low bar I was doing 5x5 with 325... what a difference bar placement makes! #HTH

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Daniel_Meyer

Funny you mention that Daniel. I have been working on my back squats too with a HIGH BAR.. I am finally up to 5x5 with 295.. damn... with low bar I was doing 5x5 with 325... what a difference bar placement makes! #HTH

«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .