Skip to main content

Need a new workout with shoulder limitations

Need a new workout with shoulder limitations

Hawk_Given
Hawk_Given g Hawk Given
170 Post(s)
170 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: November 11, 2013
Posted

Hey gang! Wanted to post my current workout schedule that I have abided to for 3-months! Thanks to the help of Scott, Daniel Meyer, nate_dawg, and Mcmike, I have made some great gains!

Now I need suggestions for a good 2-day weight training days and one-day I will be swimming laps 30-40 min. I have to change for a while due some shoulder issues.

Thanks!

Monday (Chest, Traps, and Abs)

BB chest Press 3x10-12r

Incline BB Press 3x 10-12r

Lower cable flies 3x 10-12r

Standing Overhead Press 3x 10-12r

skull crushers 3x 10-12r

Abs 3x25r

decline pushups 1x25r

Standing calf raises 3sx20-25r

Wednesday (Quads and Calves)

Leg extentions 3x12r

Squats 3x10-12r

Leg Press 3x12r

Standing calf raises 3x20-25r

Leg curls 3x12r

Stiff Legged Deadlift 3x12s

Friday (Back and Biceps)

Lat Pulldown 4x10-12r

Low Rows 4x10-12r

Lat Pulldown reverse grip 3x10-12r

Deadlifts 3x10-12r

Hammer Curls 3x8-10r

Preacher one-arm curl 3x10-12r

Abs 3x25r

MS Athlete BS, Medical Technology (ASCP) BS, Organizational Leadership and Supervision I Give God all the glory! That is where I find true strength!
Hawk_Given
Hawk_Given g Hawk Given
170 Post(s)
Posted

Still looking for some advice here if anyone would like to throw their two-cents in. Thanks.

MS Athlete BS, Medical Technology (ASCP) BS, Organizational Leadership and Supervision I Give God all the glory! That is where I find true strength!
Daniel_Meyer
Daniel_Meyer g Daniel Meyer
518 Post(s)
518 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Hawk_Given

Hey gang! Wanted to post my current workout schedule that I have abided to for 3-months! Thanks to the help of Scott, Daniel Meyer, nate_dawg, and Mcmike, I have made some great gains!

Now I need suggestions for a good 2-day weight training days and one-day I will be swimming laps 30-40 min. I have to change for a while due some shoulder issues.

Thanks!

BB chest Press 3x10-12r

skull crushers 3x 10-12r

Abs 3x25r

decline pushups 1x25r

Leg extentions 3x12r

Squats 3x10-12r

Leg Press 3x12r

Leg curls 3x12r

Friday (Back and Biceps)

Lat Pulldown 4x10-12r

Low Rows 4x10-12r

Deadlifts 3x10-12r

Hammer Curls 3x8-10r

Abs 3x25r

What currently hurts your shoulder?

Sport Rehabilitation BSc GSR Sport Rehabilitator and S&C coach at Boston United FC Super Hermanite Twitter: Daniel_Meyer99
Impulse
Impulse g
209 Post(s)
209 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: March 3, 2014
Posted

Thanks!

BB chest Press 3x10-12r

skull crushers 3x 10-12r

Abs 3x25r

decline pushups 1x25r

Leg extentions 3x12r

Squats 3x10-12r

Leg Press 3x12r

Leg curls 3x12r

Friday (Back and Biceps)

Lat Pulldown 4x10-12r

Low Rows 4x10-12r

Deadlifts 3x10-12r

Hammer Curls 3x8-10r

Abs 3x25r

Are those the specific order for each routine? I'd suggest front-loading each workout session with the major compound movement (for example, you have placed deadlifts fourth on your back and biceps day).

The rule of thumb for exercise order is:

1) Your #1 Priority Lift (typically your major compound or power lift of the day).

2) Any other compound movement.

3) Isolations

4) Cardio / Abs

Eric // Impulse Bachelor's Degree of Kinesiology Current Study in Human Nutritional Sciences ACSM Certified Personal Trainer NSCA-CSCS and CPT
Hawk_Given
Hawk_Given g Hawk Given
170 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Daniel_Meyer

What currently hurts your shoulder?

Right shoulder MRI and Arthrogram just came back as inflamatin of the AC joint. No tears and no rotator cuff issues.

Left shoulder when examined by a PT friend thinks all is okay but I have a weak rotator cuff causing slight impingement.

Chest press and any movement that bothers the AC joint.

Hawk_Given
Hawk_Given g Hawk Given
170 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Impulse

Are those the specific order for each routine? I'd suggest front-loading each workout session with the major compound movement (for example, you have placed deadlifts fourth on your back and biceps day).

The rule of thumb for exercise order is:

1) Your #1 Priority Lift (typically your major compound or power lift of the day).

2) Any other compound movement.

3) Isolations

4) Cardio / Abs

No, not a specific order. I don't have specific order. I go by what is open at the gym so I can keep a good tempo. I will sometimes do exercises in reverse so not to tire the same muscles each way every weak. So, that is also why I am not too concerned in the order that I do the exercises.

Hawk_Given
Hawk_Given g Hawk Given
170 Post(s)
Posted

I am looking for a good exercise regimen for two days so I can keep one day for swimming. I think compound movements may be the way since I will be limited with time in the gym. I do want to still build or maintain my gains until my shoulders have recovered.

Thoughts on doing a 5x5 type regimen?

@scott_herman

Adawg38
Adawg38 g Aaron Henry
563 Post(s)
563 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted

Hey brotha! 5X5's are good for your strength and muscle size but more strength. I personally think compound exercises will be your best bet with the limited time you have so you get a full body workout however, if you do things like overhead presses or bench it will be hard on your shoulders especially with 5X5's being you use heavy weight. Like I said before on bench you can just bring your elbows in to 45 degrees so it takes a little stress off the shoulders, uses triceps more but will target the chest a little less. You can try floor presses and one thing I fail to see listed on sites sometimes is pulling exercises except for db pull overs which will be hard on your shoulders. Things like rows will work your chest but it is very minor. Everything chest related will use shoulders it's just a matter off which ones stress them less. Have you thought about for a bit while your shoulders heal maybe just use 60-65% of your 1 RM and use 6-8 reps at a 3-0-3 tempo? You don't won't that shoulder to put you totally out! Keep thoses shoulders stretched and loose too!

I have been training coming up on 6 years and have made some great gainz. I've done a lot of trial and error on myself as well as learned from others and through research online. I've come along way in strength and size since I've started. I will continue to learn and make myself better each day. MS Athlete/Super Hermanite BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE, BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL.
Whisper
Whisper p+ Kostas Kroustaloudis
687 Post(s)
687 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Train for a sport Date Joined: September 9, 2011
Posted

To be 100% honest, I would stop training while having shoulder issues. I mean bodybuilding type training. I would go into a shoulder recovery program for 2-4 weeks and stick to it. Various stretches and strengthening exercises and mobility work would be amazing. I might even do some back exercises like bent over row, deadlifts and face pulls. I would avoid chest exercises by all means and pushing exercises in general.

If its not that serious, and you feel like you can train, I would avoid 5x5, not because its for "strength" but because you are forced to lift heavier with it. 5x5 does not differ with 3x8 at all. In fact, you will gain extremely similar hypetrophy results with both. With 5x5 you might gain a little bit more strength with that hypetrophy, and with 3x8 you might gain a little bit more muscle endurance with the hypertrophy. As Aaron suggested, stick to 60% of your 1RM for a while, or even go to 50% to be safe.

And if you really want to ignore the previous advice and train pushing exercises, I would avoid any barbell pressing, dips and flys. I would basically stick to dumbell presses and various pushups and stick to very low volume. I would do 5 pressing sets per pushing session and thats it.

Kostas

Muscular Strength Athlete and Content Manager 6 Years Lifting Experience Bachelors in Molecular Chemistry/Biochemistry, Working towards Masters Lifting Style & Philosophy : Aikido, Energy, Balance, Flexibility, Posture
Daniel_Meyer
Daniel_Meyer g Daniel Meyer
518 Post(s)
518 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted

Right shoulder MRI and Arthrogram just came back as inflamatin of the AC joint. No tears and no rotator cuff issues.

Left shoulder when examined by a PT friend thinks all is okay but I have a weak rotator cuff causing slight impingement.

Chest press and any movement that bothers the AC joint.

In regards to the right shoulder inflammation did they say it was just it was arthritis at all? inflammation for this long seems very strange to me. Have you tried taping your AC joint? taping could provide instant relief. Maybe your PT friend could do it?

Was it subacromial impingement in your left shoulder?

Sport Rehabilitation BSc GSR Sport Rehabilitator and S&C coach at Boston United FC Super Hermanite Twitter: Daniel_Meyer99
Hawk_Given
Hawk_Given g Hawk Given
170 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Daniel_Meyer

In regards to the right shoulder inflammation did they say it was just it was arthritis at all? inflammation for this long seems very strange to me. Have you tried taping your AC joint? taping could provide instant relief. Maybe your PT friend could do it?

Was it subacromial impingement in your left shoulder?

I agree, it does seem a long time. I had rehab with a PT for 1.5 months that did not do much and then a steroid injection this past December in the right shoulder. It really helped for about 3-months. While doing chest presses I think I increased the weight too soon and aggrevated it again. He did an Xray in his office in December before the steroid injection and suggested possible arthritis but I don't see how. This shoulder never gave me any trouble and after one game of frisbee football throwing it in the forward motion started this whole deal.

I will go to a PT for my left shoulder from here at work to make sure it goes on my medical chart. I will ask them if it is a subacromial impingement. I don't see the other PT friend very often.

I personally think it is a tight muscle and using the Rumble Roller, golf ball, knobbler, and my wife's elbow has shown some improvement. The muscle that runs across the medial side of the scapula and radiates up around the top of the scapula is very tight and is where the pain is when ending my reps for bicep curls, hammer curls and overhead presses. I Have not looked at the anatomy of the shoulder in that area. Thus, not sure if it is one muscle or others included in that area of the scapula?

Hawk_Given
Hawk_Given g Hawk Given
170 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Adawg38

Hey brotha! 5X5's are good for your strength and muscle size but more strength. I personally think compound exercises will be your best bet with the limited time you have so you get a full body workout however, if you do things like overhead presses or bench it will be hard on your shoulders especially with 5X5's being you use heavy weight. Like I said before on bench you can just bring your elbows in to 45 degrees so it takes a little stress off the shoulders, uses triceps more but will target the chest a little less. You can try floor presses and one thing I fail to see listed on sites sometimes is pulling exercises except for db pull overs which will be hard on your shoulders. Things like rows will work your chest but it is very minor. Everything chest related will use shoulders it's just a matter off which ones stress them less. Have you thought about for a bit while your shoulders heal maybe just use 60-65% of your 1 RM and use 6-8 reps at a 3-0-3 tempo? You don't won't that shoulder to put you totally out! Keep thoses shoulders stretched and loose too!

Makes since! Thanks. When my shoulders get better, hopefully, I will implement this into my routine. Thanks.

Hawk_Given
Hawk_Given g Hawk Given
170 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Whisper

To be 100% honest, I would stop training while having shoulder issues. I mean bodybuilding type training. I would go into a shoulder recovery program for 2-4 weeks and stick to it. Various stretches and strengthening exercises and mobility work would be amazing. I might even do some back exercises like bent over row, deadlifts and face pulls. I would avoid chest exercises by all means and pushing exercises in general.

If its not that serious, and you feel like you can train, I would avoid 5x5, not because its for "strength" but because you are forced to lift heavier with it. 5x5 does not differ with 3x8 at all. In fact, you will gain extremely similar hypetrophy results with both. With 5x5 you might gain a little bit more strength with that hypetrophy, and with 3x8 you might gain a little bit more muscle endurance with the hypertrophy. As Aaron suggested, stick to 60% of your 1RM for a while, or even go to 50% to be safe.

And if you really want to ignore the previous advice and train pushing exercises, I would avoid any barbell pressing, dips and flys. I would basically stick to dumbell presses and various pushups and stick to very low volume. I would do 5 pressing sets per pushing session and thats it.

Kostas

Great suggestions. I have been in recovery mode for a long time but will continue and then put your suggestions into practice. Swimming has been the best thing so far. Thanks!

muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .