«
Page 3 of 3 ▾
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: Whisper

You are not wrong man. There is a huge scam going on in the supplement industry and thank God I realized it relatively soon before spending a fortune on uselss stuff. Creatine monohydrate is cheap I know, its like 30 Euros in Greece for 1000 grams but still, I can think of better stuff to do with 30 Euros ( 40 dollars). :)

Yeah @whisper

There are A LOT of scams going on "cough" RED DRINK "cough"

But that is why we are here!! To help get rid of the BS! #HTH

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Impulse

If we're talking philosophy on this one, to your point what happens if you stop eating as much, if you stop training as much?

Nothing is permanent if you stop 'doing it', the body is an adaptation machine. The changes you receive from heightened performance while supplementing creatine can contribute to hypertrophy or hyperplasia via an increased workload capacity, if you halt the supplement and maintain the gains through maintenance lifting you are still all-told ahead even if there is some drop off.

I was having a chat with someone about the body adapting today at the gym.

I was explaining to him that if I stopped lifting all together, I wouldn't "shrink", but I would lose some muscle mass, strength, etc.

The body is an INCREDIBLE adaptive machine and very easy to understand.

Because our body is adapting, it will respond to our environment. Our bodies don't know if we are lifting weights or working on a farm. Bu the response is "muscle and strength" to perform the tasks that we need to do daily.

If you stop lifting and have a desk job and don't exert yourself much, your body will simply see that it doesn't "need" all that muscle and will as a response your body will "shed" what it doesn't need because it takes more energy to hold onto all that unneeded muscle.

Obviously it takes a LONG time for your body to lose large amounts of muscle and you can offset it with proper diet, etc. But at the end of the day your body will adapt to your lifestyle.

Whisper
Whisper p+ Kostas Kroustaloudis
687 Post(s)
687 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Train for a sport Date Joined: September 9, 2011
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

Thanks for the input Kostas. I understand where you are coming from.

For me, the creatine definitely helps. Yeah we get it naturally, but maybe I am not eating enough of the foods to boost th CP in my system naturally.

I mean, the skeletal muscles can only hold so much! :)

But I don't think we can put it on the same line of steroids as far as "natural". You will build muscle with steroids whether you lift or not. The same doesn't apply to creatine.

Well... unless you are juicing your brains out but tell everyon you just take creatine.. lol

I agree 100%. Obviously its not like steroids but I just wanted to let people know thats its not at the same level as whey protein. And yea, lots of people say they just take creatine but forget to mention their stack of tren+test+dianabol. As for the creatine con-crete you mentioned above..hmm..I m not convinced. If anything, I would stick to monohydrate because it works for sure. Concrete has been shown to both work and not work, so why would I risk it? Obviously you love BSN products and Cellmass is not just a creatine product but I would consider throwing in the blender 3-4 extra grams of monohydrate if I were you to get its effects, plus the vitamin D because you are too white! xx-a0-xa0-xa0-xax0a-x0a-

Muscular Strength Athlete and Content Manager 6 Years Lifting Experience Bachelors in Molecular Chemistry/Biochemistry, Working towards Masters Lifting Style & Philosophy : Aikido, Energy, Balance, Flexibility, Posture
GT_turbo
GT_turbo g Gregor Trost
183 Post(s)
183 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Train for a sport Date Joined: February 2, 2014
Posted

Hi guys!

I wanna add my 0.05$ to this topic. Once again I will say, that supplements are just supplements to your regular diet and some kind of boost for what you are doing. And if you don't know why you need some supplement, you don't need it.

Regarding creatine, body can stores cca 115g of creatine. Creatine itself is NOT substance which gives you performance. With more creatine your phospocreatine energy system can work a little bit longer...just to make 1 or 2 heavy repetition more, or sprint 2 seconds more on full throthle. That's all logic behind it. And for sure, if you stop supplementing, your stores will be lover and your performance is therefore not permanent. Creatine monohydrate is most cheapest creatine, but it's absorption efficiency is quite low and most of it is flushed by urine from your body. About sense on taking it: if it helps to achive your goals ;)

About BCAA and glutamine. Once more, take it if you know how they benefit you. Currently I take BCAA in my preworkout shake and since that I don't have any soreness after workout. My only indicator of workout efficiency is that how empty I feel just after workout and how much my hands are shaking under shower while holding my shaker and drink :)

But in general I think BCAA and glutamine are more usefull in endurance sports, where stress and whole body exhaustion is often very high and I could say that weight lifting can't compare in that view. I don't talk about jogging 4 times a week, but serious training, like pro cycling, rowing, triathlon,... After my heaviest gym training my legs have next day strong DOMS, but I was still movable without much problems. After hardest endurance race, I couldn't get of toilet for two days without pulling myself with hand for sink in front of me and walking along walls. Don't imagine getting in/out of bath :D Needs of body and right supplements in situations like that can be very different to those in weight lifting world, so saying something is useless and scam,... It is no secret, that supplement industry exist because of money we gave to it and they want to spend it more and more, but with understanding and knowing what you benefit with some individual supplement can make huge difference for you.

Personally, my evergreen supplements are carbs and whey/casein. Regarding on needs I add BCAA and glutamine, I rarely go for creatine. I always take care for C vitamine (1g+). If needed, I take multivitamins.

When I have too much €/$ I experiment with other supplements...

And tip for all but few exception: next time, instead buying one month supplement stack, go on f**kin' amazon for some books, skip 2 workouts, get your brain in action and read&learn about what are you (want to) using.

BR, Gregor

Super Hermanite NCSF personal trainer NLP coach IronMan finisher
Mcmike
Mcmike g Michael Benedict Ramos
458 Post(s)
458 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted

What's up Nation!

I feel like lately I am looking better than ever. I am hitting traps and calves multiple times a week which I am seeing impressive gains. Not where I want to be yet, but the changes are noticeable so that is a start.

Aside from hitting each part twice a week, I have really stepped up my creatine and BCAAs. I used to take them here and there to be honest, but for the last month I have been HARDCORE about BCAAs in the morning and during my workouts and taking creatine before and after my workouts.

Just incase you are wondering, I use @BSN AMINO-X (BCAAs) and CELL MASS (Creatine)

Even if I get to the gym feeling sluggish and tired, I can take a shot of cell mass and it just kickstarts my body.

What are your thoughts Nation? I think it would be great for beginners to see what results some of the other seasoned Hermanites in our community have been getting with these products as they seem to be the most talked about next to protein and mass gainers.

Well said Captain!

Even you are tired and have empty stomach and you take creatine it boost your energy like a saiyan! oh SUOER SAIYAN! Now, the only problem here in the Philippines is, SYNTHA 6 or any BSN products are always out of stock! =( ahahahhaa

( Beginner ) 1 Year Lifting Experience Bachelor of Science in Marketing Management Don't be afraid to make mistakes, face failure and fall, because most of the time, the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most. You'll get everything you wish for... just focus and work on it. And you'll get more than you could ever have imagined. Who knows where life will take you. The road is long, and in the end - - the journey is the destination.
Mcmike
Mcmike g Michael Benedict Ramos
458 Post(s)
458 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Rishi_Ramsamooj

Scott, my doctor actually told me the reason i was in the hosptial was because of using creatine. Sounds so crazy!!!

If you have any kidney problems, creatine is not for you. Now, if you don't have any kidney issue amke sure that you take creatine 5grams daily ( normal dosage). And drink a lot of water to avoid any risk to your kidney and dehydration. As what they say, if you used them well its safe.

In some point I also agree with John. OHHH different opinions makes me confused! AHHAHAHAHHHAA

( Beginner ) 1 Year Lifting Experience Bachelor of Science in Marketing Management Don't be afraid to make mistakes, face failure and fall, because most of the time, the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most. You'll get everything you wish for... just focus and work on it. And you'll get more than you could ever have imagined. Who knows where life will take you. The road is long, and in the end - - the journey is the destination.
jmboiardi
jmboiardi p John M Boiardi
2.6K Post(s)
2.6K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted

Most supplements take a small grain of scientific truth and extremely exaggerate the importance to the human organism and 'gains'. For example, Glutamine is very much so involved in synthesizing our body's amino acids and protein as well as helping to clear ammonia from our system. That's a tremendously important function, in fact, without it we'd DIE!

But the reality is that supplementing it would offer no benefit beyond that which a healthy diet would. We already have all of what we need glutamine-wise. Many supplements take advantage of our inborne rationale that "if some is good, then more is better!" to heavily over-consume things that we do not need to see peak performance. In short, most supplements are a money sink.

My personal 'stack' is Creatine Monohydrate, A multivitamin, Vitamin D / Vitamin C and fish oil. That's it. Here's my rationale behind each one.

Creatine Monohydrate: Aesthetically, you will retain more water in the muscle and have a fuller look. Performance wise, in your immediate energy system exercises (IE: Weigh training or sprinting), you will have an increased capacity to develop force due to a full reserve of creatine-phosphate in your energy reserves. This does work, science etc.

Multi-Vitamin: This is strictly out of superstition that I somehow will miraculously not attain all the micronutrients I need in my diet. Call it a failsafe. While we as trainees and athletes typically eat a fairly healthy diet rich in nutrients, most of the world does not. It works.

Vitamin D: I live in Winnipeg Canada, it's -50 celcius for 6 months of the year and I'm a hermit otherwise that lives in gyms. I do not get enough sunlight (and most people do not for that matter) to naturally produce enough vitamin D and there are several training related benefits.

Vitamin C: See also -- Multivitamin reasoning. I train hard, work long hours and typically my work environment is exposed to TONS of people and dirty conditions (gym life). This serves an immune booster, also typically as a placebo.

Fish Oil: Simple put, a healthy blood profile and joint health.

My 'stack' is very simplistic. The overarching theme here is that anything that promises extreme results, fat loss, or dramatic change is absolutely lying to you for money. It will either be unsafe (in the case of fat burners) or simply untrue or very untested. There are supplements out there that have proven effectiveness, but proven effectiveness does not make it a mandatory addition to your diet. The amount of times I get the question "I'm working out not (often JUST cardio), do I NEED to be on a protein shake?" is staggering. It's a supplement, IE: in addition to your regular diet if / only if you cannot get it otherwise. You do not NEED anything. It's a bonus.

That's my mini rant, I could get even deeper into it but I don't want to start pulling up studies and papers ;)

Hope that helps.

Eric,

I follow everything here but the creatine and fish oil. I personally don't like creatine and believe it is Pandora's box. As for fish oil, I prefer to get it from eting fish everyday. I wish I was in Canada because I am sure you have access to fresh, non-farmed salmon. Here is Singapore, all we get is the farmed stuff from Norway.

Vitamin D is crucial. It is actually a steroid hormone called calcitriol rather than a vitamin and your body has calcitriol receptors all over the place. I actually found out I was severely Vitamin D deficient when my doctor thought I had a parathyroid tumor as my blood calcium and parathyroid hormone levels were high and my phosphorous levels were low - most often happens when you are very low on Vitamin D. Once I started supplementing with 2000 IU of Vitamin D3, all returned to normal and I feel great. Everyone who either doesn't live in a sunny locale or doesn't get a lot of sun exposure should have their doctor run a simple Vitamin D level test when they get a health screen.

John

34 years of lifting and nutritional experience and resident "old man" :-) MS Athlete and past Super Hermanite since 2013.
jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted

Great post @impulse

I think I need to look more into taking Vitamine D. Seriously, ever winter I get depressed and sluggish.. no sun. I notice a major difference in my overall attitude and appearance with plenty of sunlight.

Scott,

Vitamin D is critical to so many functions in the body and science is learning more and more each day of how critical it is. It is really a steroid hormone called calcitriol rather than a vitamin. Since it is a fat-soluble vitamin, it needs plenty of healthy fat intake to be metabolized and used in the body. Most people are moderately to severly D defficient and don't realize it - I was. Vitamin D affects moods and is a catalyst to the formation of neuro-transmitters that cause happiness and well-being like Dopamine. It is natural to have the "winter blues" for this very reason. This is why people feel happy and less depressed on sunny days than cloudy days. It wouldn't hurt to have your Vitamin D levels checked next time you get a physical. If your levels are fine (>= 40ng), you don't need vitamin D supplementation. Like anything, too much Vitamin D can lead to calcification of your organs and other non-desireable side effects.

John

34 years of lifting and nutritional experience and resident "old man" :-) MS Athlete and past Super Hermanite since 2013.
jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted

Thanks for the response @jmboiardi

How do you feel about "Creatine Hydrochloride", they say it has virtually no conversion to creatinine. That is what is used in con-crete creatine which is in @BSN CELL MASS.

Scott,

"They" usually say things like that to get you to buy their stuff versus the other guys' stuff. You can't change chemistry. All creatine gets converted to creatinine by the liver. The amount may differ between hydrochloride and monohydrate but I doubt it is significant enough to be less stressful on your filtration organs.

John

jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted

If we're talking philosophy on this one, to your point what happens if you stop eating as much, if you stop training as much?

Nothing is permanent if you stop 'doing it', the body is an adaptation machine. The changes you receive from heightened performance while supplementing creatine can contribute to hypertrophy or hyperplasia via an increased workload capacity, if you halt the supplement and maintain the gains through maintenance lifting you are still all-told ahead even if there is some drop off.

Eric,

Agreed but I am more coming from the standpoint that your body already has the pathways and ability to produce its own creatine just like with cholesterol. It can't produce essential amino acids at all and is 100% dependent on diet to get these building blocks. Creatine is not an ESSENTIAL nutrient. It can be created from other essential nutrients. I am just not sold on supplementing something that isn't an absolute nutritional requirement. Case in point: We don't need carbohydrates to live. We need protein and fats because all normal healthy cells (unlike cancer cells) throughout the body have the ability to burn ketone bodies thru the Krebs cycle as an energy source. Ketones come from fat metabolism and glucose can be derived from proteins (I know it is more metabolically costly but it can be done). While it is true we have more efficient and desireable pathways to burn glucose from carbs, it is not a life-or-death requirement :-)

John

Impulse
Impulse g
209 Post(s)
209 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: March 3, 2014
Posted
Posted By: jmboiardi

Eric,

Agreed but I am more coming from the standpoint that your body already has the pathways and ability to produce its own creatine just like with cholesterol. It can't produce essential amino acids at all and is 100% dependent on diet to get these building blocks. Creatine is not an ESSENTIAL nutrient. It can be created from other essential nutrients. I am just not sold on supplementing something that isn't an absolute nutritional requirement. Case in point: We don't need carbohydrates to live. We need protein and fats because all normal healthy cells (unlike cancer cells) throughout the body have the ability to burn ketone bodies thru the Krebs cycle as an energy source. Ketones come from fat metabolism and glucose can be derived from proteins (I know it is more metabolically costly but it can be done). While it is true we have more efficient and desireable pathways to burn glucose from carbs, it is not a life-or-death requirement :-)

John

Your point is noted, but I wouldn't really consider an emergency pathway like the brain converting to ketone use through prolonged carbohydrate starvation a strong supporter of CHO being non-essential.

Supplementation all comes down to need and workload. A distance athlete supplements carbohydrates during their sport, a strength or explosive athlete supplements creatine pre and or post their sport to ensure maximal performance - potato / potato (..that phrase works a lot better when spoken ).

Creatine supplementation to a strength athlete is what carbo-loading is for a distance athlete, that's really the best way for me to describe my thoughts on it.

At the end of the day any discussion on creatine is really a personal choice - use it or not we both know it 'works', but it comes down to if you care to use it or not; like most other things .

Eric // Impulse Bachelor's Degree of Kinesiology Current Study in Human Nutritional Sciences ACSM Certified Personal Trainer NSCA-CSCS and CPT
Daniel_Meyer
Daniel_Meyer g Daniel Meyer
518 Post(s)
518 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted

Scott,

Vitamin D is critical to so many functions in the body and science is learning more and more each day of how critical it is. It is really a steroid hormone called calcitriol rather than a vitamin. Since it is a fat-soluble vitamin, it needs plenty of healthy fat intake to be metabolized and used in the body. Most people are moderately to severly D defficient and don't realize it - I was. Vitamin D affects moods and is a catalyst to the formation of neuro-transmitters that cause happiness and well-being like Dopamine. It is natural to have the "winter blues" for this very reason. This is why people feel happy and less depressed on sunny days than cloudy days. It wouldn't hurt to have your Vitamin D levels checked next time you get a physical. If your levels are fine (>= 40ng), you don't need vitamin D supplementation. Like anything, too much Vitamin D can lead to calcification of your organs and other non-desireable side effects.

John

John, completely agree. Vitamin D3 is crucial to anyone who is striving for ultimate body composition and health. Great post.

Sport Rehabilitation BSc GSR Sport Rehabilitator and S&C coach at Boston United FC Super Hermanite Twitter: Daniel_Meyer99
Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Amen Kostas. I have never been a fan of Creatine for all the reasons I have stated in the past and the ones expressed here. To me, supplements should provide permanent results not temporary ones. If you eat right and take in the right amount of protein - via diet and supplements - do you not achieve permanent results in muscle size and strength? When you stop creatine, you lose size (do to water loss) and any of the strength you gained while using it. Maybe I am wrong, but that is exactly what happens when you stop taking steroids. Hmmmmmmmm......

John

haha I love that pun at the end John. Always poking a the "natural" athletes

@Impulse, I KNOW I responded to your post like a week ago.. I must have been logged out.. Damn me for keeping so many TABS open at once on my Fire Fox... lol

But I pretty much supplement the same as you.

Impulse
Impulse g
209 Post(s)
209 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: March 3, 2014
Posted

haha I love that pun at the end John. Always poking a the "natural" athletes

@Impulse, I KNOW I responded to your post like a week ago.. I must have been logged out.. Damn me for keeping so many TABS open at once on my Fire Fox... lol

But I pretty much supplement the same as you.

KISS Principle needs a serious comeback when it comes to health and wellness, in my opinion!

Eric // Impulse Bachelor's Degree of Kinesiology Current Study in Human Nutritional Sciences ACSM Certified Personal Trainer NSCA-CSCS and CPT
Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Daniel_Meyer

John, completely agree. Vitamin D3 is crucial to anyone who is striving for ultimate body composition and health. Great post.

I am getting me some Vitamin-D because of @jmboiardi's post. I bet it will work wonders for me.

Adawg38
Adawg38 g Aaron Henry
563 Post(s)
563 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted

I am getting me some Vitamin-D because of @jmboiardi's post. I bet it will work wonders for me.

Good stuff! I've been taking D3 for the last 6 months and it's done wonders.

I have been training coming up on 6 years and have made some great gainz. I've done a lot of trial and error on myself as well as learned from others and through research online. I've come along way in strength and size since I've started. I will continue to learn and make myself better each day. MS Athlete/Super Hermanite BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE, BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL.
«
Page 3 of 3 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .