«
Page 3 of 3 ▾
ashtar_1
ashtar_1 g Daniel G Bieckert
29 Post(s)
29 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Lose Fat Date Joined: January 1, 2014
Posted
Posted By: JoeHurricane

If your usual squatting technique doesn't cause pain, and you are still able to use full ROM, then you may as well stick with that.

When you had your knees narrower, did you still make sure to push them OUT and not IN??

Jordan

The guys I was working out with told me I was doing good by keeping my knees inward. I won't be doing that anymore though, since my knee is still hurting from last time. I'm going to go back to my usual stance, and let them know that their way caused pain, and that the way I do them doesn't.

JoeHurricane
JoeHurricane p Jordan Matthews
1.5K Post(s)
1.5K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted
Posted By: ashtar_1

The guys I was working out with told me I was doing good by keeping my knees inward. I won't be doing that anymore though, since my knee is still hurting from last time. I'm going to go back to my usual stance, and let them know that their way caused pain, and that the way I do them doesn't.

Sounds like a good plan @ashtar_1.

If your knees were going in, I'm not surprised you got some pain. Have a look at this video if you haven't as well :)

Jordan

SHF Athlete MS Athlete Partial Fitness YouTuber
ashtar_1
ashtar_1 g Daniel G Bieckert
29 Post(s)
29 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Lose Fat Date Joined: January 1, 2014
Posted

I just got back from another leg day. I tried telling the guy that my knee was hurting from doing my squats with my knees inward, and he really didn't want to hear it. I showed him how I was doing them before, and he said doing them that way the weight was on my bones, and not the muscle. I couldn't get him to understand that his way caused me pain. He was saying that since doing them his way was harder to do even with lighter weight, that it was the right way to do them. I am going to continue doing them my way, and let my knees move out a little bit, since that was more comfortable. I did feel a little discomfort in my hips, but I also forgot to do the stretches that Scott showed in his video, so that way probably why. Anyway, here is what I did tonight.

1_ Squats (Smith Machine)- 1x10 @ 105lbs, 1x10 @ 135lbs, 1x10 @ 180lbs

2_ Leg Press- 1x10 @ 270lbs, 1x10 @ 320lbs, 1x10 @ 340lbs

3_ Calf Ext.- 1x10 @ 270lbs, 1x10 @ 320lbs, 1x10 @ 340lbs

4_ Leg Ext.- 1x10 @ 130lbs, 1x10 @ 150lbs, 1x10 @ 170lbs(PR)

Thanks to Joe for posting the video, and big thanks to Scott for having this awesome site available for great info.

JoeHurricane
JoeHurricane p Jordan Matthews
1.5K Post(s)
1.5K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted
Posted By: ashtar_1

I just got back from another leg day. I tried telling the guy that my knee was hurting from doing my squats with my knees inward, and he really didn't want to hear it. I showed him how I was doing them before, and he said doing them that way the weight was on my bones, and not the muscle. I couldn't get him to understand that his way caused me pain. He was saying that since doing them his way was harder to do even with lighter weight, that it was the right way to do them. I am going to continue doing them my way, and let my knees move out a little bit, since that was more comfortable. I did feel a little discomfort in my hips, but I also forgot to do the stretches that Scott showed in his video, so that way probably why. Anyway, here is what I did tonight.

1_ Squats (Smith Machine)- 1x10 @ 105lbs, 1x10 @ 135lbs, 1x10 @ 180lbs

2_ Leg Press- 1x10 @ 270lbs, 1x10 @ 320lbs, 1x10 @ 340lbs

3_ Calf Ext.- 1x10 @ 270lbs, 1x10 @ 320lbs, 1x10 @ 340lbs

4_ Leg Ext.- 1x10 @ 130lbs, 1x10 @ 150lbs, 1x10 @ 170lbs(PR)

Thanks to Joe for posting the video, and big thanks to Scott for having this awesome site available for great info.

OK, I'm sorry, but this guy sounds like a total bro. If you are putting pressure on your bones, but not your muscles, I'm not sure what the hell you could be doing. This is not a rant against you @ashtar_1, but I'm just trying to say this guy is telling BS, or at least it sounds that way.

Putting pressure on your bones..the only thing he could be talking about is your patella, and that happens when your knees colapse IN.

If you can, post a video of your preferred squat form, and the form this guy at the gym has you doing them. THen we can let you know what's really going on, and how you can move forward.

Jordan

SHF Athlete MS Athlete Partial Fitness YouTuber
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: JoeHurricane

OK, I'm sorry, but this guy sounds like a total bro. If you are putting pressure on your bones, but not your muscles, I'm not sure what the hell you could be doing. This is not a rant against you @ashtar_1, but I'm just trying to say this guy is telling BS, or at least it sounds that way.

Putting pressure on your bones..the only thing he could be talking about is your patella, and that happens when your knees colapse IN.

If you can, post a video of your preferred squat form, and the form this guy at the gym has you doing them. THen we can let you know what's really going on, and how you can move forward.

Jordan

I agree with Joe, this guy sounds like a complete idiot. The muscles do the work, not the bones.

Any chance we can get a video of you squatting? Just upload it as unlisted to YouTube and then post the link here for us!

We got your back bro!

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
«
Page 3 of 3 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .