Skip to main content

Naturally Enhanced Questions

Got questions about getting yoked naturally? Ask away.

«
Page 2 of 8 ▾
»
I3ambi
I3ambi g Brady Roose
1 Post(s)
1 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: May 5, 2018
Posted
I have a question about your novice program. While on the novice program, could we also train the neck? and if so, is following the bridging variations a good workout to do it with?
Rwallis86
Rwallis86 g Ryan Wallis
1 Post(s)
1 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: June 6, 2018
Posted

Hi Alex,

Been following your channel for a while now, and am looking to create my own, novice friendly NE program. I'm not sure which 4 week program from the second edition would be best for a novice, so I have pieced something together for myself.

Would it be ok to post the program here for critique? Or simply to get better recommendations on what to add, subtract, use?

If so, great. If not, what would be the best course to take in setting up NE for the novice?

Gevorg
Gevorg g Gevorg Karapetyan
5 Post(s)
5 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: June 6, 2018
Posted

Hi Alex. I am currently running your novice program, still a novice on most lifts but around 6 weeks ago my linear gains for OHP stopped at 135lbx5. I tested my 1RM and it was 160lb. I considered myself intermediate on OHP and started using concurrent periodization for my shoulders. Basically, I still used your novice template but swapped the OHP. I alternated volume and intensity on Workout Day B's only, used push press 3x5(intensity days) and landmine press 3x20(volume days) for 2.5 weeks(4 workouts) then rotated the movements to pinpress forehead level 3x3 and OHP 3x20 for another 2.5 weeks(4 workouts). I used maximal weights and got stronger on those lifts. Did some accesory shoulders too. Today I went to test my new 1RM pretty confident to get at least 165lb, however I failed 165 at like nose level, dropped it to 160 failed that too then dropped it to 155 and couldn't do that either. I just gave up there and continued my workout. My food and sleep is on point all my other lifts are going up, so I don't know what is going on. I fucked up bro, help me out please. Thanks.

By the way, the novice program itself is amazing, I will send you testimonials once I reach intermediate stage.

Dams3
Dams3 g Stefanos Toufexis
2 Post(s)
2 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: June 6, 2018
Posted

Hi Alex. I have bought naturally enhanced and its great. I do want to pay a bit more attention to my chest and not my shoulders though, since my shoulders grow pretty easily. My first question is, can I still use the same templates but in the press and extra press category use more horizontal presses? (vertical presses will still be included)

My second question is this. I have seen that in one of the already made programs at the end you have used incline flys as one of the exercises. If I were to use them as well, would it count as an extra press or as a shoulder accessory?

Finally can I do facepulls on every workout but not treat it as a shoulder accessory? I mean I do my facepulls but then I do some other shoulder accessory as well. Alright man thanks for your answers and sorry for the long message

Dmoore7790
Dmoore7790 g Dennis Moore
1 Post(s)
1 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: June 6, 2018
Posted

Hey Alex, I’ve heard you talk about doing band push downs everyday and was wondering how that works with the biological law of accommodation? How would one get around this, or is it even a factor?

AlphaDestiny
AlphaDestiny p Alexander Leonidas
101 Post(s)
101 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: February 2, 2017
Posted
Posted By: takyon

Hey Alex,
On a volume day you say go balls to the wall and that there is no upper limit to how much volume one can do, but what are some general guidelines? I mean, I can do like, 10x10 on the main exercice, or 3x12, and this seems like quite a big difference. It's just a little confusing as to what sets and reps to actually do since there is so much to choose from. Also you say that volume and intensity should stay constant throughout the year on a concurrent style system, does it mean that every volume day should have roughly the same total volume? And on intensity days, am i supposed to choose sets and reps based on prilepins chart on a exercice basis or on a muscle groups basis (15 total reps on bench press vs 15 total reps for chest at a given percentage of 1RM)?
Thanks in advance!

Hey Takyon,

It's all about your individual recovery. You can do as much volume as you want, a good reference point is the templates at the end of the book. 5x10, 10x10, whatever you want. A good way to manage this is by keeping the total reps the same, but modifying sets/reps. An example might be 8x3 vs 3x8. As long as the volume is similar and you're recovering while making progress, you're good to go.

For intensity days, yes use Prilepin's chart primarily. For the little accessories you can deviate away from it though. Hope this helps!

AlphaDestiny
101 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: BlackAcid

Would the OHP, squat and deadlift be similar too in that they're weaker compared to when you bullk or maintain?

For the mini home workouts, do we have to do all the band works with 1x100 or can we do 2x50 for all of them?

Also what is a band exercise I can do for knee pain?

Aside from the 2x a week template, how often do you use the Push/Pull template?

Also when are you gonna release the bench specialization program that you used to get to 365 lbs (or at least give an example how to make a bench specialization program using NE) and the Naturally Enhanced Bulgarian style template?

I also got IronMind straps but if I try to shrug/barbell row/rack pull beyond 315, I can't even budge the bar even with straps and even with 315, I can only shrug like 1 rep? When I try to use the straps, they feel slippery under my hands and makes it harder to grip. Is it becasue I need to work on my grip strength or do I need new straps?

Hey BlackAcid,

1) Squat and deadlift not as much, OHP that's debatable.

2) You can do 2x50 if you choose to. Even 3x3 or whatever totals 100

3) Ankle weight leg curls or band leg curls. Band TKE's are also great

4) You can use it year round! If you prefer that tempalte, go right ahead.

5) Can't give you any dates on that yet.

6) Ironmind straps are top notch. Are you strapping correctly? Also make sure to use chalk, this should not be a problem.

Hope this helps!

AlphaDestiny
101 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: I3ambi
I have a question about your novice program. While on the novice program, could we also train the neck? and if so, is following the bridging variations a good workout to do it with?

Hey I3ambi,

You can absolutely train the neck. Bridging is great, but as a beginner I'd prefer you do neck curls and neck extensions.

AlphaDestiny
101 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Rwallis86

Hi Alex,

Been following your channel for a while now, and am looking to create my own, novice friendly NE program. I'm not sure which 4 week program from the second edition would be best for a novice, so I have pieced something together for myself.

Would it be ok to post the program here for critique? Or simply to get better recommendations on what to add, subtract, use?

If so, great. If not, what would be the best course to take in setting up NE for the novice?

Hey Rwallis86,

Feel free to send me an email and I can take a look at that. As far as setting up NE for novices, you simply need to extend the exercise rotation to 3 weeks as opposed to every 1-2 weeks. Exercises must also be more basic, and the sets/reps need not be complicated (3x3, 5x5, 3x10, etc). It's easy to set up my friend.

AlphaDestiny
101 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Gevorg

Hi Alex. I am currently running your novice program, still a novice on most lifts but around 6 weeks ago my linear gains for OHP stopped at 135lbx5. I tested my 1RM and it was 160lb. I considered myself intermediate on OHP and started using concurrent periodization for my shoulders. Basically, I still used your novice template but swapped the OHP. I alternated volume and intensity on Workout Day B's only, used push press 3x5(intensity days) and landmine press 3x20(volume days) for 2.5 weeks(4 workouts) then rotated the movements to pinpress forehead level 3x3 and OHP 3x20 for another 2.5 weeks(4 workouts). I used maximal weights and got stronger on those lifts. Did some accesory shoulders too. Today I went to test my new 1RM pretty confident to get at least 165lb, however I failed 165 at like nose level, dropped it to 160 failed that too then dropped it to 155 and couldn't do that either. I just gave up there and continued my workout. My food and sleep is on point all my other lifts are going up, so I don't know what is going on. I fucked up bro, help me out please. Thanks.

By the way, the novice program itself is amazing, I will send you testimonials once I reach intermediate stage.

Hey Gevorg,

Yes that is definitely intermediate status.

Now the reason you plateaued is very simple. You're using a novice template with the wrong exercise selection and sets/reps. Landmine presses and push presses don't have the most carryover to standard OHP and alternating A,B,A,B,etc with workout to workout linear progression will no lonmger work. I'd also say you need to keep the exercises more basic for now since you're an early intermediate. Do more pin presses from the chin/chest level and harder variations as opposed to high pin presses. The 3x20 OHP is fantastic but maybe you should do a basic 3x10, 5x10, 6x6, 8x8, or even dynamic effort. In sum, refrain from using a novice template since you're no longer there, and keep the exercises a bit more basic while properly managing volume/intensity. Keep up the good work!

AlphaDestiny
101 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Dmoore7790

Hey Alex, I’ve heard you talk about doing band push downs everyday and was wondering how that works with the biological law of accommodation? How would one get around this, or is it even a factor?

Hey Dmoore7790,

Don't worry about it, band pushdowns are very light and it doesn't interfere with recovery at all. It's true restoration and the biological law of accommodation is the last thing you should be worrying about. This would likely be an issue if you were going heavy at a gym (with cables), but doing 100 reps at home isn't going to cause problems. Keep at it

BlackAcid
BlackAcid g John
30 Post(s)
30 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Lose Fat Date Joined: June 6, 2018
Posted

Would you recommend doing hip abduction as an accessory lower body workout in Naturally Enhanced to increase the squat?

BlackAcid
BlackAcid g John
30 Post(s)
30 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Lose Fat Date Joined: June 6, 2018
Posted

Also with Naturally Enhanced 2x a week, should you tone down the volume for the volume days a bit if you're on a calorie deficit or still do something like 1x100, 2x50, 3x33, 4x25, 5x20,10x10, 5x20, 12x2, 8x3, etc?

I'm assuming if someone is on a calorie deficit and doing Naturally Enhanced, 3x a week or Naturally Enhanced upper lower it will be the same thing?

AlphaDestiny
101 Post(s)
Posted

Would you recommend doing hip abduction as an accessory lower body workout in Naturally Enhanced to increase the squat?

You may do so if you choose to. I used to do a lot of 3x15 on the "good girl bad girl" machine. The carryover won't be significant but it's not a bad lift IMO.

AlphaDestiny
101 Post(s)
Posted

Also with Naturally Enhanced 2x a week, should you tone down the volume for the volume days a bit if you're on a calorie deficit or still do something like 1x100, 2x50, 3x33, 4x25, 5x20,10x10, 5x20, 12x2, 8x3, etc?

I'm assuming if someone is on a calorie deficit and doing Naturally Enhanced, 3x a week or Naturally Enhanced upper lower it will be the same thing?

Absolutely. If you're in a calorie deficit, keep the volume on the lower side. Rather than doing 10x10, do 5x10. Or instead of 5x10, 3x10. This will hold true on the 3x a week option, upper lower, and classic 2x template. No need to overdo it brother.

AlphaDestiny
101 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Dams3

Hi Alex. I have bought naturally enhanced and its great. I do want to pay a bit more attention to my chest and not my shoulders though, since my shoulders grow pretty easily. My first question is, can I still use the same templates but in the press and extra press category use more horizontal presses? (vertical presses will still be included)

My second question is this. I have seen that in one of the already made programs at the end you have used incline flys as one of the exercises. If I were to use them as well, would it count as an extra press or as a shoulder accessory?

Finally can I do facepulls on every workout but not treat it as a shoulder accessory? I mean I do my facepulls but then I do some other shoulder accessory as well. Alright man thanks for your answers and sorry for the long message

Hello Dams,

Glad you are enjoying the program! Allow me to help you out now :)

1) 100% yes. That is exactly what I'd do and this is what's recommend if you want more chest work. Vertical presses can be secondary or done on the side.

2) I'd count it as shoulder accessory

3) Of course you can. They can be added on top of the shoulder accessory or replace it completely. Face pulls = strength and restoration simultaneously.

Keep killing those gains!

«
Page 2 of 8 ▾
»
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .