«
Page 4 of 4 ▾
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: Vect0rs

Hey Scott I was able to barely get 30 sec dead hang and actually on my first set of leg raises I got 15 with straight leg, guess my abs were already quite fatigued when I tried it before.

Quick question, on the pull up, are you elbows supposed to be flared out at 90 degrees? I see some people performing the pull up with there arms more in front of them and not completely to the side which I thought was wrong.

There's nothing wrong with 30 seconds @Vect0rs! You have to start somewhere 😊 

For your pull-ups, it should kind of be like how your elbows are when bech pressing - shoulder blades retracted as you pull yourself up, and therefore your elbows shouldn't be flared much, they should kind of be tucked next to your body.

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
133 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: October 10, 2017
Posted

So should I only add weight when 30 seconds is easy or add it next time I do dead hangs?

Also so having my arms at a 90 degree angle is a mistake then? Actually I see in that dumbest mistakes video that you said allowing your elbows to flare out all the way isn't safe for shoulders. Maybe that's why I feel pull ups much less in the lats then when I do lat pull downs... so bascially your arms do come out in front of you a bit and as you pull up, but as you are pulling yourself up you are trying to pull your elbows back?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

So should I only add weight when 30 seconds is easy or add it next time I do dead hangs?

Also so having my arms at a 90 degree angle is a mistake then? Actually I see in that dumbest mistakes video that you said allowing your elbows to flare out all the way isn't safe for shoulders. Maybe that's why I feel pull ups much less in the lats then when I do lat pull downs... so bascially your arms do come out in front of you a bit and as you pull up, but as you are pulling yourself up you are trying to pull your elbows back?

You could add weight for maybe 1 or 2 sets, and then just dead hang with your body weight for the last two sets, if you were doing 4 sets for example. That way you're getting some overload with the added weight, and more volume with the body weight because ideally you'll hang longer with just body weight.

Yes that's right about your elbows. You're not so much pulling them 'back', as you are pulling them 'down'. You don't want them at 90 degrees.

Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
133 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: October 10, 2017
Posted

Okay I can't wait for pull day to see how many pull ups I can get doing them right! Also for dead hang, should you grap the bar as wide as for a wide grip pullup or just shoulder with? Or makes no difference?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Okay I can't wait for pull day to see how many pull ups I can get doing them right! Also for dead hang, should you grap the bar as wide as for a wide grip pullup or just shoulder with? Or makes no difference?

Grab about shoulder-width apart.. that way your lats will get the maximum STRETCH! 🙌 

«
Page 4 of 4 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .