Page 2 of 4 ▾
»
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: Vect0rs

Yes, I have seen it, I was referring to how you said that "if you pull the barbell towards your bellybutton you will target more of your lower lats" and how you said that "if you pull the bar more towards your chest you will target more upper lats and mid back". So what I mean is on the chest supported row which looks like this:

Here you have no choice, you are rowing to your chest which you said targets more upper lats and mid back, with the landmine t-bar row you can row to your belly button or in a bent over row or even cable row, OR you can choose to row to your chest to hit more mid back/upper back.

So basically on the Barbell Bent Over Row underhand or overhand grip affects which muscles are worked, but what about this Chest Supported Row, since you can't row to your belly button it should mean this exercise is upper lats/middle back then? Also if you choose neutral grip vs wide grip t-bar row or cable row wide grip/neutral grip which muscles does wide and neutral grip emphasize on these exercises?

Thanks for all the help btw :)

I will be posting the new program I made very soon.

Widegrip with an underhand grip would be more lats, but if it's overhand then it's going to hit more upper back. For the chest supported row, it depends where the handles are positioned.

You see, in the photo you posted above, it's only the plate that is going towards his chest, which is totally normal if you watched my T-Bar row video I released today. But the actual handles are down below his chest. So if the handles have you pulling to your chest/upper body, it will be upper back, but if the handles have you pulling below your chest closer to your stomach, that will tend to be more lats. It's not just where the plate is going.

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
133 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: October 10, 2017
Posted

Okay got it Scott, thanks. Great video on the T-bar row! Also one question, for wide grip pull ups, do you recommend to keep your feet straight down or to cross your legs? And also I have the same question but if you are doing a weighted pull up with a dumbbell?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Okay got it Scott, thanks. Great video on the T-bar row! Also one question, for wide grip pull ups, do you recommend to keep your feet straight down or to cross your legs? And also I have the same question but if you are doing a weighted pull up with a dumbbell?

Thanks man! Either option is OK. If you tend to swing a lot when you do pull-ups, try to keep your feet straight as that will help you engage your core and not swing as much. If you can engage your core with your feet back then that's OK too.

I'd definitely suggest crossing your legs if you have a dumbbell between them, it will make it WAY easier to hold in place.

Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
Posted

Hey Scott, I got those Nike Romaloes 3 and I'm going to try them out on tuesday (Leg day), only thing is after squats, do I have to change back to my normal tennis shoes or is it okay to use them for any exercise aside from deadlifts? Also if I am doing Romanian Deadlift is it ok to wear them, or does that rule hold for ANY deadlift variation?

Thanks.

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Hey Scott, I got those Nike Romaloes 3 and I'm going to try them out on tuesday (Leg day), only thing is after squats, do I have to change back to my normal tennis shoes or is it okay to use them for any exercise aside from deadlifts? Also if I am doing Romanian Deadlift is it ok to wear them, or does that rule hold for ANY deadlift variation?

Thanks.

You can continue to use them for your leg workout after you've done your squats. They should be fine for Romanian deadlifts, it's just conventional or maybe even sumo where you probably don't want to use them becuase on those lifts you want to be as close to the ground as possible.

Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
Posted

Okay great. I'm wondering in your recent hamstrings video, when you did RDLs you kept your chest and head up, doesn't that make your spine not neutral? Like during T-bar rows you said to not keep your head up so why would it be correct to do that on RDLs?

Also when I did One-Arm Dumbbell row today this guy said that you want to keep your head up, which once again seems weird as it isn't neutral, is it correct advice or should you stay neutral (look down)? Also is it correct to start by retracting the shoulders, and only then pull the dumbbell up on every rep, or is this like one fluid motion where you right as you start to go up you retract your shoulders as you begin to pull? Lastly are you supposed to pull it up at an angle so it ends up going up and towards your hip right?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Okay great. I'm wondering in your recent hamstrings video, when you did RDLs you kept your chest and head up, doesn't that make your spine not neutral? Like during T-bar rows you said to not keep your head up so why would it be correct to do that on RDLs?

Also when I did One-Arm Dumbbell row today this guy said that you want to keep your head up, which once again seems weird as it isn't neutral, is it correct advice or should you stay neutral (look down)? Also is it correct to start by retracting the shoulders, and only then pull the dumbbell up on every rep, or is this like one fluid motion where you right as you start to go up you retract your shoulders as you begin to pull? Lastly are you supposed to pull it up at an angle so it ends up going up and towards your hip right?

I didn't actually say to keep your head up, but you're right I did have my head up.. ideally you shouldn't, I just kind of forgot that and was guilty of looking in the mirror while I was demonstrating that one haha.

Again, ideally you won't want to keep your head up with a rowing movement. For some people, it won't matter either way. For others, it can put some strain through the neck and back. I'd suggest your focus on keeping your head down. And you should retract your shoulder blades as you compe up, so in one motion. You want to get a deep stretch at the bottom, so you can't get that without coming out of scapula retraction.

You can pull it either way. Straight up or on an angle. It will probably hit your lower lats a bit more if you row it back on an angle as you row it up - to an extent, that kind of makes it a vertical and horizontal rowing movement in one. But both movements are fine.

Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
Posted

Okay. Thanks for the advice from the Hamstring video, during RDLs I was pushing my hips out, but only for the first few inches and then starting to bend knees and lean forward too much. So thinking to keep bringing the hips back the whole time has helped me get that deep stretch at the bottom.

On bench press, is it like the squat where you want to take in a breath before the rep and hold it in until you get all the way back to the top, and only then breath out and take in a new breath? Or for bench do you breath out as you come up? I learned to breath out when bringing the weight up, however after watching your video I started holding my breath in for each rep for Squats, OHP, Curls etc.. but I never thought about wether it applied to bench press.

Also besides, Squats, deadlift, Rack pulls, OHP, barbell curls, any other exercises specifically where you shouldn't breath out when you are exerting force, that keeping core tight the whole time is important?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Okay. Thanks for the advice from the Hamstring video, during RDLs I was pushing my hips out, but only for the first few inches and then starting to bend knees and lean forward too much. So thinking to keep bringing the hips back the whole time has helped me get that deep stretch at the bottom.

On bench press, is it like the squat where you want to take in a breath before the rep and hold it in until you get all the way back to the top, and only then breath out and take in a new breath? Or for bench do you breath out as you come up? I learned to breath out when bringing the weight up, however after watching your video I started holding my breath in for each rep for Squats, OHP, Curls etc.. but I never thought about wether it applied to bench press.

Also besides, Squats, deadlift, Rack pulls, OHP, barbell curls, any other exercises specifically where you shouldn't breath out when you are exerting force, that keeping core tight the whole time is important?

Yes the breathing should be the same. Holding in that breath helps you keep everything tight to give you as much power as possible. I have a video on it.

Rafijr11
Rafijr11 g Rafi Amarta
2 Post(s)
2 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Lose Fat Date Joined: June 6, 2017
Posted
Can I get shape with workout 3 days a week?
Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
Posted

Hey Scott, I need some advice rather urgently. I bought the Nike Romaloes 3 however they after one workout already had a few creases. I am returning those, as I only now found out their durability is pretty bad...

So the problem is I checked the other shoe I liked, Adidas Adipower, and they are much better, however they only have sizes 9 and 10.5 on Amazon. My shoe size is 9.5; So is it okay for olympic shoes to be bigger or smaller than your usual size, which is a better option? My feet are slightly wider than average so width isn't a problem, but is it okay to do Squats, front squat, RDLs etc.. if the shoe is a little longer? If the shoes being a little big isn't a big deal then I will get those. If not, then should I get size 9? If that's not a good idea I can get the Adidas powerlift 3 however the heel isn't very big, only 0.6 inch/15 mm (I think around half what it is on the adipower shoes) so I'm wondering if the heel is big enough? Please advise me Scott, if i'm going to pay $100-200 I want to make sure the shoes are good!

Lastly if neither of these what shoe would you recommend? I have heard these might be good (Reebok Legacy Lifters, :

Image result for reebok legacy lifter

In this case Amazon has my size 9.5, but again, should i get my size, or half a size bigger/smaller?

Thanks!

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Rafijr11
Can I get shape with workout 3 days a week?

Yeah you can! I was working out 3 days a week for quite a while myself and to be honest I never felt better! You just have to make sure you are really maximizing those workouts and giving them everything you've got! Maybe you could try my PPL program, but just keep it to training 3 days a week by rotating through the different A, B & C workouts? Take a look and let me know what you think! http://muscularstrength.com/Push-Pull-Legs

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Hey Scott, I need some advice rather urgently. I bought the Nike Romaloes 3 however they after one workout already had a few creases. I am returning those, as I only now found out their durability is pretty bad...

So the problem is I checked the other shoe I liked, Adidas Adipower, and they are much better, however they only have sizes 9 and 10.5 on Amazon. My shoe size is 9.5; So is it okay for olympic shoes to be bigger or smaller than your usual size, which is a better option? My feet are slightly wider than average so width isn't a problem, but is it okay to do Squats, front squat, RDLs etc.. if the shoe is a little longer? If the shoes being a little big isn't a big deal then I will get those. If not, then should I get size 9? If that's not a good idea I can get the Adidas powerlift 3 however the heel isn't very big, only 0.6 inch/15 mm (I think around half what it is on the adipower shoes) so I'm wondering if the heel is big enough? Please advise me Scott, if i'm going to pay $100-200 I want to make sure the shoes are good!

Lastly if neither of these what shoe would you recommend? I have heard these might be good (Reebok Legacy Lifters, :

Image result for reebok legacy lifter

In this case Amazon has my size 9.5, but again, should i get my size, or half a size bigger/smaller?

Thanks!

Well.. I hope you got your money back lol. To be honest, any show you get will probably crease at some point I would say.. that's just the nature of the beast. You get what you pay for remember, so if you invest more money into something, you would expect to get more out of it.

I'm not really sure about the sizing.. you want the shoe to fit comfortably, so I would just go with your regular size or maybe half a size smaller to make sure it's a tight fit (althought you don't want it too tight). I'd suggest that if the Romaleos were comfortable, you order your next shoe in that same size. But if they need to be a bit longer to fit your feet width, then that's fine too, it shouldn't make a huge difference as long as most of your foot is still secure and you feel you have a solid platform.

Heel size is also personal prefernce. If you liked the height of the Romaleos, stick with something that has a similar heel height. Nothing wrong with Reebok, I have some Reebok's myself actually. Whatever fits your budget and works for you man. There are so many to choose from that it's hard to say if any of them are perfect or WAY better compared to the others.

Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
Posted

Hey Scott today they actually showed they had 1 10 size shoes so I got them! So hopefully should fit well!

Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
Posted

Also Scott, I wanted to ask, what helped you the most to progress from like 8-10 pullups to 15 bodyweight pull ups and then to weight pull ups? I'm beyond the point where bands are helpful, and negatives I have done but the thing is I never fail in the negative, I always fail in the position slightly higher than the dead hang as I am trying to go up, which makes sense since the negative builds strength but more so on the negative part of the pullup. I heard inverted rows help with the concentric part of the pull up, but I always thought this was a beginner exercise? What would you suggest?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Also Scott, I wanted to ask, what helped you the most to progress from like 8-10 pullups to 15 bodyweight pull ups and then to weight pull ups? I'm beyond the point where bands are helpful, and negatives I have done but the thing is I never fail in the negative, I always fail in the position slightly higher than the dead hang as I am trying to go up, which makes sense since the negative builds strength but more so on the negative part of the pullup. I heard inverted rows help with the concentric part of the pull up, but I always thought this was a beginner exercise? What would you suggest?

That's great about the shoes!

Just consitently doing pull-ups is what helped me honestly. Multiple times a week. One thing you can do is at the start of your back workout, do 40-50 pull-ups. Don't worry about how many sets it takes you, just make sure you get them all done. Over time you should aim to do at least one more rep per working set, and before you know it, you're at or above 10 reps.

You can definitely do inverted rows. What you could do, is if you're doing say 4 sets of 10 reps of pull-ups, but you can only get to 6 reps in a given set, then after that you finish off with inverted rows - kind of like a superset.

Last thing would be to get a spotter to hold your feet and help you on the last few reps you struggle with.

«
Page 2 of 4 ▾
»
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .