How to measure bodyfat in my situation

«
Page 3 of 3 ▾
Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
133 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: October 10, 2017
Posted

No when I say High Pull, I don't mean either of those. You have a bar, and it starts at your knees (after you picked it up from the floor to start the set), and you iniatate the movement from the legs, and you use a bit of momemtum to bring the weight up, and as you bring it up you also pull the weight towards you, so at the end of a rep the bar is a few inches from your face...I can't seem to find a video of this exercise, as the videos I see they are doing it a little differently. Here is a video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5tJG8iNpkA , but the way I was shown to do it, you don't end up in an upright row position, your grip sort of changes to where rather than having an overhand grip at the top you end up with your hands underneath the bar rather than on top sort of like a clean grip.

The trainer who taught me it says it's called a high pull but maybe it really has a different name? Have you ever seen this exercise before, what do you think? He said it really builds the upper back area/rear delts well, and it appears to do exactly that.

Yeah I added some volume for arms. I will post the routine later on a new thread so you can offer any suggestions. But yeah I got rid of the narrow grip t-bar row.

Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: Vect0rs

No when I say High Pull, I don't mean either of those. You have a bar, and it starts at your knees (after you picked it up from the floor to start the set), and you iniatate the movement from the legs, and you use a bit of momemtum to bring the weight up, and as you bring it up you also pull the weight towards you, so at the end of a rep the bar is a few inches from your face...I can't seem to find a video of this exercise, as the videos I see they are doing it a little differently. Here is a video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5tJG8iNpkA , but the way I was shown to do it, you don't end up in an upright row position, your grip sort of changes to where rather than having an overhand grip at the top you end up with your hands underneath the bar rather than on top sort of like a clean grip.

The trainer who taught me it says it's called a high pull but maybe it really has a different name? Have you ever seen this exercise before, what do you think? He said it really builds the upper back area/rear delts well, and it appears to do exactly that.

Yeah I added some volume for arms. I will post the routine later on a new thread so you can offer any suggestions. But yeah I got rid of the narrow grip t-bar row.

Yeah I have seen it before. It's more of an accessory to a clean, Olympic lift. Almost like an upright row with momentum. Great exercise for overloading your traps and obviously it's good if you're getting into Olympic lifting.

Sounds good about the added arm volume! 💪 

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
Posted

Yeah, well I'm not intending to go into Olympic lifting really, just doing it for upper back. Besides this version of a high pull, can you name your other favorite upper back exercises? The only other one I know is rack pulls.

Also for some reason wide grip pull ups are much eaiser for me than chinups, could this be because the program I did did a lot of back work but very little volume for biceps? My biceps are what give out quickly during a chin up, not my back.

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Yeah, well I'm not intending to go into Olympic lifting really, just doing it for upper back. Besides this version of a high pull, can you name your other favorite upper back exercises? The only other one I know is rack pulls.

Also for some reason wide grip pull ups are much eaiser for me than chinups, could this be because the program I did did a lot of back work but very little volume for biceps? My biceps are what give out quickly during a chin up, not my back.

I personally like to use upright rows and face pulls, but the high pulls are fine, you can leave them in there. Like I said, it's a good way to overload the upper back.

It could be that your biceps are a limiting factor, definitely. It might also be the range of motion is shorter for a wider-grip, so they might tend to be easier for you? It's OK though, if you keep working on your chin-ups you will soon get better at them, and don't forget you can do things like negatives and use a resistance band to improve them.

Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
Posted

I thought upright row is for the middle delt unless you use a narrow grip which is bad anyway? And facepulls I thought are just rear delts? By upper back I mean not just the rear delt but like all the upper back muscles, rear delt, upper traps, rhomboids etc...

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

I thought upright row is for the middle delt unless you use a narrow grip which is bad anyway? And facepulls I thought are just rear delts? By upper back I mean not just the rear delt but like all the upper back muscles, rear delt, upper traps, rhomboids etc...

Face pulls won't really hit your rhomboids much, but it will definitely hit your traps and rear delts. Same with upright rows. For rhomboids I would go with something more along the lines of T-Bar rows or close-grip cable rows. But if the high pulls are hitting the rhomboids too, then yeah you can keep them like I said! 😊 

Vect0rs
Vect0rs g Ben Unknown
133 Post(s)
Posted

It is correct that wether it is cable rows, t-bar, bent over row, if you row to your stomach area it's more mid back, and if you row to about chest level it's more upper back right? So is the chest supported t-bar row actually upper back then?

«
Page 3 of 3 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .