«
Page 4 of 7 ▾
»
S133003836
S133003836 g Cody Sheridan
45 Post(s)
45 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: May 5, 2017
Posted

Is there a difference between lifting to gain more strength and lifting to build more muscle? How do you get one without the other? I've heard different rep ranges for both of the two. 4 - 6 reps if your goal is to build strength. 8 - 10 reps or even as high as 12 or 15 reps if your goal is muscle gain. Would you say this is Ideal?

Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: S133003836

Is there a difference between lifting to gain more strength and lifting to build more muscle? How do you get one without the other? I've heard different rep ranges for both of the two. 4 - 6 reps if your goal is to build strength. 8 - 10 reps or even as high as 12 or 15 reps if your goal is muscle gain. Would you say this is Ideal?

That's all covered in this video!

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

Each time you work out, is it okay do do a different exercise for each muscle? For example, one day for chest you do bench press, the next time you workout you do pushups for chest, next time you do a different exercise and so on. Or one day for biceps you do chin ups, next time barbell curl, and the next time a concentration curl and so on. would this work or would it be like a different program each time?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Each time you work out, is it okay do do a different exercise for each muscle? For example, one day for chest you do bench press, the next time you workout you do pushups for chest, next time you do a different exercise and so on. Or one day for biceps you do chin ups, next time barbell curl, and the next time a concentration curl and so on. would this work or would it be like a different program each time?

It would work for different programs, but not different workouts every week. You want to give your muscles a new stimulus to grow, sure, but if you just keep changing the exercises, you never give your body a chance to adapt and get stronger in any one movement. That's why it's suggested that you stick with one program for a good 8-12 weeks before switching things up.

So you can have two different workouts during the week, where you do different exercises, but you would then repeat those each week, you wouldn't just pick a new exercise for every workout of every week.

Take a look at the PPL program for example. You have two different workouts each week for each bodypart (e.g. barbell bench press for one workout, then barbell pin press for the next), but you do those same workouts for 12 weeks, then you might look to something new. Make sense? http://muscularstrength.com/Push-Pull-Legs

S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

Okay I see. If your working out and your goal is to do 8 reps with each set, but at the end of your workout your starting to fatigue, would it be okay if you had to decrease the weight or even stop for a few seconds in between a set in order to get 8 reps in? Will you still see progress this way?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Okay I see. If your working out and your goal is to do 8 reps with each set, but at the end of your workout your starting to fatigue, would it be okay if you had to decrease the weight or even stop for a few seconds in between a set in order to get 8 reps in? Will you still see progress this way?

Absolutely! When you have a goal number of reps to complete, then you should ALWAYS be hitting that number no matter what. There's no shame in lowering the weight or taking a rest pause (for about 10 seconds) between reps, it means your routine is working and breaking down and fatiguing your muscles!

S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

Before starting a workout, do you only need to warm up once? Or should you warm up before each muscle group that you do?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Before starting a workout, do you only need to warm up once? Or should you warm up before each muscle group that you do?

Just one warm-up for your first lift should be fine for the most part. Kind of judge it by how you feel. If you are doing a PUSH day for example, you might want to do 1 warm-up set before your first shoulder movement, but when you hit triceps they should be sufficiently warm from any chest/shoulder work you have already done. Same with biceps on a PULL day.

And if you were doing an arm workout, then you would probably want to warm-up before your first tricep movement and then before your first bicep movement.

S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

As a beginner, is it best to workout every 24 hours or 48 hours?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

As a beginner, is it best to workout every 24 hours or 48 hours?

You can workout every 24 hours (still have 1-3 off days per week as well, depending on how you feel), just make sure that you are training different body parts every 24 hours. So if you train chest on Monday, you wouldn't want to train it again until Wednesday at the earliest. Give at least 24-48 hours rest between training the same muscle group.

S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

I've seen your full body 20 min pyramid style workout, My main goal is to build muscle, but I'm only a beginner. So would this be okay for beginners to start out with?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

I've seen your full body 20 min pyramid style workout, My main goal is to build muscle, but I'm only a beginner. So would this be okay for beginners to start out with?

It would be OK, yes. It will help you build a foundation of muscle. But if you have access to a gym, you can use any of the programs as a beginner too!

S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

What's the difference between pyramid style pushups and regular pushups?

Adawg38
Adawg38 g Aaron Henry
563 Post(s)
563 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted

more emphasis on your triceps

I have been training coming up on 6 years and have made some great gainz. I've done a lot of trial and error on myself as well as learned from others and through research online. I've come along way in strength and size since I've started. I will continue to learn and make myself better each day. MS Athlete/Super Hermanite BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE, BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL.
Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Do you mean diamond push-ups? If so then yes.. Aaron's right, those will put more emphasis on your triceps. If you mean pryamid as in doing 1 push-up, then 2, then 3 and working up to say 10.. it's just a different way of training.

S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

How much weight should a beginner start out lifting?

«
Page 4 of 7 ▾
»
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .