Page 3 of 7 ▾
»
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: S133003836

I have no injuries. I was just wondering. I don't have enough room to do squats with a regular straight barbell, so my only option would be to use an Ez- curl bar. Would this work? I've never done front squats. What's the difference between those and regular squats?

Well you can use an E-Z curl bar.. but it would probably be just as hard to get that on and off your back I guess haha. You working out from a home gym? Is that why you have no room?

Front squats are just where you hold the barbell on your shoulders/collarbone instead of across your traps. Puts a bit more emphasis on your quads too.

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
S133003836
S133003836 g Cody Sheridan
45 Post(s)
45 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: May 5, 2017
Posted

yes, my weight room is pretty small so I really don't have enough room for squats. I think I heard once that squats can actually make you shorter because of the pressure that it puts on your spine. Is this true? What's your opinion on this?

johnny2603
johnny2603 g John Lees
44 Post(s)
44 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: January 1, 2018
Posted

yes, my weight room is pretty small so I really don't have enough room for squats. I think I heard once that squats can actually make you shorter because of the pressure that it puts on your spine. Is this true? What's your opinion on this?

Don't worry about squats ruining your vertical gains. Look at Brian Shaw, he squats like 900 pounds, if it was something to worry about he would be like 4 feet tall. 😂 

Heavy squats will compress your vertical column but it's temporary. The same thing happens to you just walking around for the day. You can check this for yourself by measuring your height when you wake up and when you go to bed. If there is a long term effect on your height from heavy squats, it's probably very minor and something you wouldn't have to worry about until you've been lifting for years.

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

My opinion.. is right here 😊 

S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

When working out, are there any exercises you should do the same day? For example, should you do bench press, a tricep exercise and military press the same day? Because doesn't bench press also work your triceps and shoulders too? Or can you do them on seperate days?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

When working out, are there any exercises you should do the same day? For example, should you do bench press, a tricep exercise and military press the same day? Because doesn't bench press also work your triceps and shoulders too? Or can you do them on seperate days?

Either or, you can do it both ways. Depends what kind of program you are following. On a PPL split like this program for example, yes you would train all of those muscles in the same day because they are PUSHING muscles - http://muscularstrength.com/Push-Pull-Legs

If you were following a different split, you might train chest and shoulders seperately though. It's really up to you and the program you're following.

S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

I've heard that it's okay to train your calves every day? Is this true?

Can you train forearms every day?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

I've heard that it's okay to train your calves every day? Is this true?

Can you train forearms every day?

Basically, yeah. Although I would give them a day of rest here and there.. maybe train them every other day at most, a mix of high weight low reps and low/no weight with high reps. I have a video about maximizing calf gains.

Forearms will basically get trained everyday you are working out, because you'll be gripping things here and there, but they are basically like calves in the fact that yes, you can probably train them hard every other day.

S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

I've heard that however much you weigh in pounds, you should eat that much protein in grams for muscle growth. For example, if you 150 pounds, than you should eat 150 grams of protein a day? Is this Ideal for muscle growth?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

I've heard that however much you weigh in pounds, you should eat that much protein in grams for muscle growth. For example, if you 150 pounds, than you should eat 150 grams of protein a day? Is this Ideal for muscle growth?

That is a good rule of thumb, yeah! I tend to suggest you go a bit higher than that even, just so that you don't go overboard on your carb intake if you tend to store more fat easily with a high-carb diet.

S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

I've heard that its not good to stretch before a workout because you have a higher risk of pulling a muscle or injuring yourself. Is this true? Is it more important to stretch afterwards?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

I've heard that its not good to stretch before a workout because you have a higher risk of pulling a muscle or injuring yourself. Is this true? Is it more important to stretch afterwards?

Kind of true, but not really. You want to use DYNAMIC stretching before working out as part of your warm-up. That means stretches where you are moving as you're stretching (e.g. leg swings, arm circles etc.).

You DON'T want to do much static stretching, which is where you hold a stretch in place for around 30 seconds. That is better for AFTER your workouts.

So bottom line.. do DYNAMIC stretching before workouts.. STATIC stretching after.

S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

Is it okay to switch back and forth from dumbells to a barbell each time you work out? For example, one day you use all dumbells for your exercises, and then the next time you work out you use just a barbell, next time dumbells and then next time barbell and so on? Or should you just stick with one or the other for a few months and then trade?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Is it okay to switch back and forth from dumbells to a barbell each time you work out? For example, one day you use all dumbells for your exercises, and then the next time you work out you use just a barbell, next time dumbells and then next time barbell and so on? Or should you just stick with one or the other for a few months and then trade?

Either option is fine. If you want to keep improving both variations, yes switch between the two (so barbell chest press on your first chest session of the week, dumbbell press the second, for example). Progress might be a bit slower when training both, but it's good to at least keep them both moving forward.

If you focus on just one from month-to-month, progress will probably be faster, but after a month of only barbell pressing, it might take a little while for you to get used to dumbbell pressing again and vice-versa. So it's not bad, but that's just something to keep in mind - it's that whole concept of 'if you don't use it, you lose it'.

S133003836
45 Post(s)
Posted

will you be over training any muscles if you do military press the day after you've done lat pull downs? Or vice-versa?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

will you be over training any muscles if you do military press the day after you've done lat pull downs? Or vice-versa?

No my bro. They are two very different movements (Military press for shoulders, lat pulldowns for back).

«
Page 3 of 7 ▾
»
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .