Skip to main content
gmdgeek
gmdgeek p Gerald Davis
88 Post(s)
88 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2015
Posted

My friend's son tore his meniscus during a wrestling match and had surgery about 4 months ago.  Same friend asked me for advice on exercises that would be good for him ... told him that while I have learned a lot over the past 100 days about training, fitness, and nutrition I was by no means qualified to answer his question. Having had ACL surgery for a 60% torn ACL in the past I do know a few of the all around basic recovery and rehab exercises but am curious as to what good exercises would be for stabalizing and strengthening the knee after a meniscus surgery.  And no this isn't being passed on to him, told him to go to a physical therpasit / doc for those answers to be safe.  This more for my own personal curiousity.

Thanks,

Gerry

www.getfit40.net - personal fitness blog
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted

Well when it comes to stabilizing the knee you need to build the muscle around the area so working quads is a huge help.

You can actually utilize the leg extension machine with a very limited range of motion to train the quads with little knee strain. For example, while seated only extend your leg 1/3 of the way up. so very short.. you will feel your quads activate instantly as you perform reps with this short range of motion.

Try it out!

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
gmdgeek
gmdgeek p Gerald Davis
88 Post(s)
88 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2015
Posted

Thanks Scott

That is one of the excersises they had me do for the ACL recovery, the also had me sit in an office chair and do laps forwards and backwards at first on tile then on carpet. After two weeks lof things like that moved to bands, partial lunges/squats on a balance ball, and swimming. I picked up scuba fins and found that to be one of the all time best recovery techniques. Although I did get hooked, got ceritified as a diver then 10 months later was a Dive Master. LOVE ME SOME SCUBA.

www.getfit40.net - personal fitness blog
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .