Page 3 of 3 ▾
jmboiardi
jmboiardi p John M Boiardi
2.6K Post(s)
2.6K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Abaas

Hi john i just to know your opinion about couple of things

1-iam recently eating about 1900 caloeries on daily basis 100gm carb 200gm protein and 80 fat so someone advised me to raise my caloeries as this is too low for my age and wight iam 22 years 182 cm 190lbs with about 14-15% cuz eating low caloeries will slow down my metabolism and i think thats my be my problem becuz i think it become so difficult fore to loose the layer of fat on my abs so what do u think

BTW i used to train 4or5 days aweek hight intensity workouts but nowdays i only train twice aweek and may be some hiit at home and when i tried to eliminate carb completely so i had1500 cal only at non working days becus i am no longer active as iam studying for exams i felt very low energy and i had to sleep for longer hours

2-about IF can i eat some starchy carbs or fruit at first meal (preworkout) or just fat and protein and eat all my carb postworkout

And if iam not working out should i eat allmy carb at first meal after fasting

3-what do u think about supplement as fatburners and green tee lcarnitine cla D-aspartic acid ,preworkouts,creatin and other stuff like that do they work in aspect of fat loss or they do harm more than good

I apprwciate ur Help alot John

Answers below:

1) Calorie needs are based best on activity level not age and weight. Your calorie level of 1900 may be fine it is just the ratio of your macros is off. Your metabolism only slows down after 3 days of eating no food. Staying active while restricting calories does not cause your metabolism to slow down. You need to tailor your macros to your body. It sounds like you need to up the carbs and cut the fats a bit. This is why you have no energy and sleep alot. Your brain prefers glucose for fuel rather than fat - even though your brain can also use it as a fuel source.

2) You can eat carbs with every meal during IF if you want. The idea is nutrient timing and the body needs more carbs post-workout. On non-workout days, just split your carb allotment across all the meals you eat so every meal has some carbs.

3) Creatine aides muscle contraction strength not fat loss. I am not a fan of fat burner supplements. They all contain some form of caffeine and in some cases amphetamine-like compounds which are dangerous and illegal. Green tea is the best fat burning supplement there is. Drink it.....don't take a pill. Too many people rely on pills for everything. Eat your food and drink your liquids and supplements. Stay away from gimmicky pills except for vitamin supplements. If you eat a balanced, nutritionally dense diet, you will be getting plenty of L-carnitine, D-Aspartic acid, and all these other useless pill-based supplements only they will be in the form your body was meant to use and it will be cheaper too.

John

34 years of lifting and nutritional experience and resident "old man" :-) MS Athlete and past Super Hermanite since 2013.
Abaas
Abaas g ahmed abas
108 Post(s)
108 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: April 4, 2015
Posted
Posted By: jmboiardi

Answers below:

1) Calorie needs are based best on activity level not age and weight. Your calorie level of 1900 may be fine it is just the ratio of your macros is off. Your metabolism only slows down after 3 days of eating no food. Staying active while restricting calories does not cause your metabolism to slow down. You need to tailor your macros to your body. It sounds like you need to up the carbs and cut the fats a bit. This is why you have no energy and sleep alot. Your brain prefers glucose for fuel rather than fat - even though your brain can also use it as a fuel source.

2) You can eat carbs with every meal during IF if you want. The idea is nutrient timing and the body needs more carbs post-workout. On non-workout days, just split your carb allotment across all the meals you eat so every meal has some carbs.

3) Creatine aides muscle contraction strength not fat loss. I am not a fan of fat burner supplements. They all contain some form of caffeine and in some cases amphetamine-like compounds which are dangerous and illegal. Green tea is the best fat burning supplement there is. Drink it.....don't take a pill. Too many people rely on pills for everything. Eat your food and drink your liquids and supplements. Stay away from gimmicky pills except for vitamin supplements. If you eat a balanced, nutritionally dense diet, you will be getting plenty of L-carnitine, D-Aspartic acid, and all these other useless pill-based supplements only they will be in the form your body was meant to use and it will be cheaper too.

John

Thanx john for the fast response

When i said that i slept alot thats when i eliminate all carb and eat just protein and fat getting just 1500 cal perday but when i eat 1900 cal per day by adding 100gm carb i feel better but if i train hard and do cardio i ended so exahusted and i think i need more than 100 gm

So i will try to carb and caloerie cycle while IF but can i just cycle carb up and down while fat and protein remain the same

The only issue for me with IF is that i found its hard to eat the same caloeries at 8 hr window so do u recommend buying some carb product(supplement)to use with way to relive my stomach from digestion issues

Can i compine fuit with other sources of carb as rice or oats a d protein or fruits should be eaten as snack only between meals

JoeHurricane
JoeHurricane p Jordan Matthews
1.5K Post(s)
1.5K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted

Thanx john for the fast response

When i said that i slept alot thats when i eliminate all carb and eat just protein and fat getting just 1500 cal perday but when i eat 1900 cal per day by adding 100gm carb i feel better but if i train hard and do cardio i ended so exahusted and i think i need more than 100 gm

So i will try to carb and caloerie cycle while IF but can i just cycle carb up and down while fat and protein remain the same

The only issue for me with IF is that i found its hard to eat the same caloeries at 8 hr window so do u recommend buying some carb product(supplement)to use with way to relive my stomach from digestion issues

Can i compine fuit with other sources of carb as rice or oats a d protein or fruits should be eaten as snack only between meals

You should stick to whole foods instead of supplements to get your calories in @Abaas. If you find a 'carb' supplement, it's likely to be some kind of Mass Gainer, which is just a drink usually with lots of additives and some real food blended up for convinience. You should try to avoid relying on those sorts of things to get calories in.

For your digestion issues, maybe just try and space your meals slightly further apart so your body has time to digest the food??

Combining fruit with other carb sources is fine - just eat them in a way that fits your meal plan and lifestyle.

Jordan

SHF Athlete MS Athlete Partial Fitness YouTuber
Abaas
Abaas g ahmed abas
108 Post(s)
108 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: April 4, 2015
Posted
Posted By: JoeHurricane

You should stick to whole foods instead of supplements to get your calories in @Abaas. If you find a 'carb' supplement, it's likely to be some kind of Mass Gainer, which is just a drink usually with lots of additives and some real food blended up for convinience. You should try to avoid relying on those sorts of things to get calories in.

For your digestion issues, maybe just try and space your meals slightly further apart so your body has time to digest the food??

Combining fruit with other carb sources is fine - just eat them in a way that fits your meal plan and lifestyle.

Jordan

Thanx Jordan for the help

charonjr
charonjr g David Christy
31 Post(s)
31 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Lose Fat Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted

Ok, update. As of 5/27, I have been on IF since the 11th, about 16 days. I am down to 298 and 34.1%, a drop of 13# and 1.9% BF. Then we went to visit Dad and they serve meals 3 times a day. This disruption lasted four days. So, got back onto IF over the past week, but as of 6/7, dropped 0.5# to 297.5 and BMI went from 40.1 to 39.4. When I can motivate myself to get back to the gym again (gone 3 weeks and depression shows no signs of lifting), I'll find out my BF%. The scale insists it is 30.1%, but said that when the hand device at the gym said 34.1%.

Between depression and continuing effects of pneumonia, I've been off since November. Getting very weak now and motivation is non-existent.

JoeHurricane
1.5K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: charonjr

Ok, update. As of 5/27, I have been on IF since the 11th, about 16 days. I am down to 298 and 34.1%, a drop of 13# and 1.9% BF. Then we went to visit Dad and they serve meals 3 times a day. This disruption lasted four days. So, got back onto IF over the past week, but as of 6/7, dropped 0.5# to 297.5 and BMI went from 40.1 to 39.4. When I can motivate myself to get back to the gym again (gone 3 weeks and depression shows no signs of lifting), I'll find out my BF%. The scale insists it is 30.1%, but said that when the hand device at the gym said 34.1%.

Between depression and continuing effects of pneumonia, I've been off since November. Getting very weak now and motivation is non-existent.

That is still good progress man! It might not seem like much now, but if you continue to lose at that rate, soon enough you will be down to your goal weight! It just takes time.

Maybe you should try hitting the gym...who knows, it might re-ignite your passion and motivation?

Jordan

JoeHurricane
1.5K Post(s)
Posted

Thanx Jordan for the help

No worries @Abaas, train hard man! #HTH

charonjr
charonjr g David Christy
31 Post(s)
Posted

Yes, I should try. I did do the handheld and got 34.7%, basically up 1.5 pounds bodyfat. Dang it! It still comes down to eating healthy and $125 / month starting in July still forces me to eat cheap carbs for calories. Pish! August, I get to cancel TV and that will get me up to $160. Between that and $38 in food stamps, I can eat one chicken breast per day.

charonjr
charonjr g David Christy
31 Post(s)
Posted

Update, Guys! Weight today (6/18) 293.2, BMI 38.9. Will check at the gym the handheld BF%. Scale BF% says 31%, I only wish!!!

I did do legs two days ago, which FELT ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!! Been paralyzed since, LOL! Gonna do Chest today.

:)

JoeHurricane
1.5K Post(s)
Posted

Update, Guys! Weight today (6/18) 293.2, BMI 38.9. Will check at the gym the handheld BF%. Scale BF% says 31%, I only wish!!!

I did do legs two days ago, which FELT ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!! Been paralyzed since, LOL! Gonna do Chest today.

:)

Nice work @charonjr, keep up the good work! #HTH

charonjr
charonjr g David Christy
31 Post(s)
Posted

Update: handheld BF% 34.6%. Looked at my food log and am eating too many fat calories in meat I purchased on credit. Tastes good, but credit too easy to lose control!

JoeHurricane
1.5K Post(s)
Posted

Update: handheld BF% 34.6%. Looked at my food log and am eating too many fat calories in meat I purchased on credit. Tastes good, but credit too easy to lose control!

Get that knife out and trim the fat @charonjr :)

charonjr
charonjr g David Christy
31 Post(s)
Posted

Update 6/25/15: 291, 33.8%, 38.7 BMI. This is 20 pounds down and 2.2% bodyfat dropped since I started IF on 5/11/15. There was that week off while visiting my Dad, then I had to re-acclimate to IF again.

Having some trouble getting back into my workout. I have not been this weak in a very, very long time. I consulted a trainer at the gym who advises doing core work to start. I am also thinking of arm and shoulder work. When I do planks on my hands, my arms shake very badly. Forced to do them on my elbows! So got to build my forearms, arms, shoulders and core. Doing this while keeping back and chest fairly light to start. Legs should be able to start low but increase fairly rapidly as they are ez for me to grow.

Can you suggest a really basic series of exercises to follow for a few weeks. When I get to the gym, I draw blanks now as to what to do.

JoeHurricane
1.5K Post(s)
Posted

Update 6/25/15: 291, 33.8%, 38.7 BMI. This is 20 pounds down and 2.2% bodyfat dropped since I started IF on 5/11/15. There was that week off while visiting my Dad, then I had to re-acclimate to IF again.

Having some trouble getting back into my workout. I have not been this weak in a very, very long time. I consulted a trainer at the gym who advises doing core work to start. I am also thinking of arm and shoulder work. When I do planks on my hands, my arms shake very badly. Forced to do them on my elbows! So got to build my forearms, arms, shoulders and core. Doing this while keeping back and chest fairly light to start. Legs should be able to start low but increase fairly rapidly as they are ez for me to grow.

Can you suggest a really basic series of exercises to follow for a few weeks. When I get to the gym, I draw blanks now as to what to do.

Compound movements. Squats, Bench presses, Overhead presses and deadlifts. They don't have to be heavy, but you can't go wrong with using them to get back into the swing of things.

Then you have your curls, dips, etc for smaller muscle groups, and hamstring curls and various types of rows and shrugs etc. etc. If you are looking for ab exercises, try some of these:

Jordan

charonjr
charonjr g David Christy
31 Post(s)
Posted

Thanks Joe! IF update 7/2/15: 293.2# 33.6%BF 38.7BMI. I just got a credit card, which, if I can handle it VERY CAREFULLY (!) can be used to get some whey and basic decent food.

«
Page 3 of 3 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .