Page 2 of 3 ▾
»
Abaas
Abaas g ahmed abas
108 Post(s)
108 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: April 4, 2015
Posted
Posted By: jmboiardi

You don't need to go ketogenic if you do IF. IF manipulates your insulin and growth hormone in a way that you will burn body fat without cutting out carbs. You don't even really need to do carb cycling. I would just eat your required macros in an 8 hour feeding window and give it 6 months before you look into doing tweaking with carb cycling.

John

Ok john i will try this out

Another thing u said that u replace your carb with healthy fat and this work with u i think iam carb sensitive like u can u tell whats your macros on daily basis ?another thing can excess protein make me fat as i read that most of excess amino acids are converted into glucose and spike my insulin like carb?

jmboiardi
jmboiardi p John M Boiardi
2.6K Post(s)
2.6K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Abaas

Ok john i will try this out

Another thing u said that u replace your carb with healthy fat and this work with u i think iam carb sensitive like u can u tell whats your macros on daily basis ?another thing can excess protein make me fat as i read that most of excess amino acids are converted into glucose and spike my insulin like carb?

Ahmed,

I eat about 40% protein 35% fat and 25% carbs. My fats are whole eggs, coconut oil, oily fish, olive oil, flaxseed, avocado, and low fat milk.

Excess protein does not make you fat and is not converted into glucose to spike insulin. Whoever told you that has no understanding of human biology and metabolism. Excess protein gets put into an "amino pool" for the entire body to use. Protein is used not only to repair muscle but also every cell in your body. Only in times of extreme starvation (greater than 3 days) will the body start cannibalizing muscle and protein for fuel. The only macro that affects insulin levels is carbs. Period. :-)

John

34 years of lifting and nutritional experience and resident "old man" :-) MS Athlete and past Super Hermanite since 2013.
Abaas
Abaas g ahmed abas
108 Post(s)
Posted

Ahmed,

I eat about 40% protein 35% fat and 25% carbs. My fats are whole eggs, coconut oil, oily fish, olive oil, flaxseed, avocado, and low fat milk.

Excess protein does not make you fat and is not converted into glucose to spike insulin. Whoever told you that has no understanding of human biology and metabolism. Excess protein gets put into an "amino pool" for the entire body to use. Protein is used not only to repair muscle but also every cell in your body. Only in times of extreme starvation (greater than 3 days) will the body start cannibalizing muscle and protein for fuel. The only macro that affects insulin levels is carbs. Period. :-)

John

Thanx alot john you really inspire me

I just want to tell u something that i recently come through i tried to eliminate all carbs and i just eat protein and healthy fat and protein and veggiea(alot)for three days i actually dropped alot of water and i begin to see some difinition in my abs probably due water loss not fat

The side effect was so strong my brain was so foggy i was dizzy i barly coud train and i needed long rest between sets and there was cramps all over my muscles i am a student i nearly couldnt focus on my studying at all and i needed alot of sleep actually i couldnt wake up ,muscle sorenes continoued after my workout 3 days and this was so strong despite i didnt do any new workout routine i couldnt paly cardio at all but i think i lost some fat with water

What do u think about this diet btw i ate 1800 cal carb 50gm veggiea or less 150-200pr about 80-100gm fat?and could i manage with these symptoms and my body could adapt and is that healthy ?

And i measured my BL Glucose and was 95 post prandial not fasting so i think these symptoms was due to hypoglycemia

jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted

Thanx alot john you really inspire me

I just want to tell u something that i recently come through i tried to eliminate all carbs and i just eat protein and healthy fat and protein and veggiea(alot)for three days i actually dropped alot of water and i begin to see some difinition in my abs probably due water loss not fat

The side effect was so strong my brain was so foggy i was dizzy i barly coud train and i needed long rest between sets and there was cramps all over my muscles i am a student i nearly couldnt focus on my studying at all and i needed alot of sleep actually i couldnt wake up ,muscle sorenes continoued after my workout 3 days and this was so strong despite i didnt do any new workout routine i couldnt paly cardio at all but i think i lost some fat with water

What do u think about this diet btw i ate 1800 cal carb 50gm veggiea or less 150-200pr about 80-100gm fat?and could i manage with these symptoms and my body could adapt and is that healthy ?

And i measured my BL Glucose and was 95 post prandial not fasting so i think these symptoms was due to hypoglycemia

Ahmed,

What you experienced is the "keto flu". Its length varies from person to person and some people can't deal with it during the body's adjustment period to running soley on fat. I am not a fan of 0 carb diets. Low carb is the better way to go as long as you eat only wholesome, non-processed carbs. I think if you follow my macro percentages you should be fine :-)

John

34 years of lifting and nutritional experience and resident "old man" :-) MS Athlete and past Super Hermanite since 2013.
Abaas
Abaas g ahmed abas
108 Post(s)
Posted

Ahmed,

What you experienced is the "keto flu". Its length varies from person to person and some people can't deal with it during the body's adjustment period to running soley on fat. I am not a fan of 0 carb diets. Low carb is the better way to go as long as you eat only wholesome, non-processed carbs. I think if you follow my macro percentages you should be fine :-)

John

John

Iam not trying to do aketogenic diet cuz its so difficult to maintain nutritional ketosis

All iam trying to do is obtaining my carb from healthy veggies rather than starches

Abaas
Abaas g ahmed abas
108 Post(s)
Posted

Ahmed,

John

Another thing john when u said that u eat 25%of your macros carb how many gram do u eat per day and how many grams of them is starchy carb?

As u have alot experience in IF how can i arrange my macros in the 8 hr window if i eat 120gm carb 200 protein 80 fat and what i can have beside water in the fasting

And do u recommend certain supplement with IF

Thanx alot but u really inspire me

jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted

Another thing john when u said that u eat 25%of your macros carb how many gram do u eat per day and how many grams of them is starchy carb?

As u have alot experience in IF how can i arrange my macros in the 8 hr window if i eat 120gm carb 200 protein 80 fat and what i can have beside water in the fasting

And do u recommend certain supplement with IF

Thanx alot but u really inspire me

I eat about 125g of carbs from oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole fruit, and lots of vegetables. It is hard to say exactly how much are starchy and how much aren't. The bottom line is I don't eat any more grams of carbs than I weigh .e.g. 168Lbs. I keep my carbs in the low 100-130g range.

Every meal has fats, protein, and carbs in my 8 hour window. Carb timing is critical. On workout days, I eat the majority of my carbs post-workout. On non-workout days, I have no carbs with my last meal and I keep my carbs low.

During fasting, as long as you stay under 25 calories you will not break your fast. So besides water you can drink some tea or coffee.

For supplements, I use a whey protein before and after workouts and a casein protein in the morning and at night on non workout days.

John

Abaas
Abaas g ahmed abas
108 Post(s)
Posted

I eat about 125g of carbs from oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole fruit, and lots of vegetables. It is hard to say exactly how much are starchy and how much aren't. The bottom line is I don't eat any more grams of carbs than I weigh .e.g. 168Lbs. I keep my carbs in the low 100-130g range.

Every meal has fats, protein, and carbs in my 8 hour window. Carb timing is critical. On workout days, I eat the majority of my carbs post-workout. On non-workout days, I have no carbs with my last meal and I keep my carbs low.

During fasting, as long as you stay under 25 calories you will not break your fast. So besides water you can drink some tea or coffee.

For supplements, I use a whey protein before and after workouts and a casein protein in the morning and at night on non workout days.

John

So in non workout days u just reduce your overall calorries by reducing carbs or u raise yr protein and fat to compensate lost caloeries from carb

And what u do if u want to reduce or raise your over all caloeries to add or lose zome weight ...u raise or reduce yr protein and fat only keeping carb at the same range or i could raise my carb also

Bcuz iam nw eating 100 gm carb 80 fat 200 protein 1900 call total

And iam planning to raise my calories gradually tell my maintaince 2400 cal as i have been told that 1800 cal is so low for my age (22) and my activity lvl weight (88kg) and height 182cm

So what do u think?

charonjr
charonjr g David Christy
31 Post(s)
31 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Lose Fat Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted

Hello John and Scott!

I am on day 12 of the IF. So far, two days ago, I weighed in and found I had dropped from 311 to 302. My bodyfat percentage has dropped a total of 0.9% from 36% to 35.1%. As I figure it, I've lost almost 3 pounds of fat and 7 pounds of lean mass. I haven't been working out over the past two weeks, since my depression was triggered again. (I am bi. I give guys compliments in a no-homo fashion on their physiques. 3 staff members at my gym reported me as making them uncomfortable and coming onto them - NOT! The manager has ordered me to stifle myself or lose the gym membership altogether.)

Ok, so back on target. Food consumption has been very low. I have a pound of spaghetti, 5 slices of bread and 33 eggs to last me until my SSDI check comes in on June 3rd. Needless to say, I don't have much energy and sleep a lot of the time. I'm going to try the food bank, which gives a small box of food once a month. It is heavy on carbs.

You had mentioned that the fasting can withstand carb intakes of under 25g. I was going to ask about using zero carb foods to fill up on during fasting: lettuce, kosher dill pickles (0 c/f/p!). Wanted your thoughts on this. I have found that while my stomach doesn't get all growly to indicate hunger, my eyes have started automatically fixing on food items when I stop by the local quik mart where a friend lets me have a free black coffee in a cup I bring.

I can tell you something that feels neat: my gut is no longer distended and feels empty. When I wake up, I have energy, though it doesn't last long.

Okay, I will continue to keep you posted.

David

crood
crood a Chris P.
467 Post(s)
467 Post(s) Gender: Female Goal: Train for a sport Date Joined: August 8, 2014
Posted
Posted By: charonjr

Hello John and Scott!

I am on day 12 of the IF. So far, two days ago, I weighed in and found I had dropped from 311 to 302. My bodyfat percentage has dropped a total of 0.9% from 36% to 35.1%. As I figure it, I've lost almost 3 pounds of fat and 7 pounds of lean mass. I haven't been working out over the past two weeks, since my depression was triggered again. (I am bi. I give guys compliments in a no-homo fashion on their physiques. 3 staff members at my gym reported me as making them uncomfortable and coming onto them - NOT! The manager has ordered me to stifle myself or lose the gym membership altogether.)

Ok, so back on target. Food consumption has been very low. I have a pound of spaghetti, 5 slices of bread and 33 eggs to last me until my SSDI check comes in on June 3rd. Needless to say, I don't have much energy and sleep a lot of the time. I'm going to try the food bank, which gives a small box of food once a month. It is heavy on carbs.

You had mentioned that the fasting can withstand carb intakes of under 25g. I was going to ask about using zero carb foods to fill up on during fasting: lettuce, kosher dill pickles (0 c/f/p!). Wanted your thoughts on this. I have found that while my stomach doesn't get all growly to indicate hunger, my eyes have started automatically fixing on food items when I stop by the local quik mart where a friend lets me have a free black coffee in a cup I bring.

I can tell you something that feels neat: my gut is no longer distended and feels empty. When I wake up, I have energy, though it doesn't last long.

David

From a female point of view: (no offense guys - just some observations)

Hey charonjr,

seems guys really don't handle compliments of other guys very well. And even if you mean it good, it sometimes might be better to keep those to yourself, or for the people you know and that know you, and know how to understand a compliment when you give one.

Whilst most females enjoy a carefully formulated "don't want to be creepy, just wanted to say you are looking great and in shape", the same being said to a guy, makes them feel creeped out and often this nonsense homosexual-panic-gene kicks in, making them feel uncomfortable.

Sometimes it seems the only compliment a guy can take from another, is a pat on the shoulder and a "awesome stuff, Dude!" - sorta compliment. lol

So don't feel bad for it, just keep it to yourself and see it from that perspective: If they don't enjoy a compliment, they didn't deserve to receive one in the first place =)

Sometimes, even if we mean it good, we have to accept how people 'tick' and that not everything we ourselves wouldn't mind, would be welcome by everybody else.

That being said: good luck with your IF diet, i am pretty sure John got you covered there!

Cheers! - crood-

Admin + MS Athlete You will get nowhere, if you don't move :) - crood -
jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: charonjr

Hello John and Scott!

David

David,

Excellent progress so far.

The best things to eat to keep you full are protein and fiber. Try eating a bunch of whole eggs for breakfast if you can. I would avoid the pasta as I am sure it is not 100% whole wheat durum. If it is, then keep the portions small. If it isn't, it will only make your situation worse as it is a refined flower.

Filling up with lettuce and other raw vegetables is a good idea as they have fiber. Try to do the best you can selecting foods that are as natural as possible.

John

jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted

So in non workout days u just reduce your overall calorries by reducing carbs or u raise yr protein and fat to compensate lost caloeries from carb

And what u do if u want to reduce or raise your over all caloeries to add or lose zome weight ...u raise or reduce yr protein and fat only keeping carb at the same range or i could raise my carb also

Bcuz iam nw eating 100 gm carb 80 fat 200 protein 1900 call total

And iam planning to raise my calories gradually tell my maintaince 2400 cal as i have been told that 1800 cal is so low for my age (22) and my activity lvl weight (88kg) and height 182cm

So what do u think?

If you want to lose fat, you need to be at a deficit below maintenance and to gain muscle you need to be at a slight surplus. For me, I want to keep losing body fat o on non work-out days I limit my carbs and keep fats and protein the same. If you want to gain some lean mass, you will need to increase your fats to make up for the calorie loss of carbs on days you limit them.

John

charonjr
charonjr g David Christy
31 Post(s)
31 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Lose Fat Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted

Hi Crood! Yes, so it would appear. Can't lose the gym, so i have to comply. It just makes me angry that I don't see the compliment police going after the straight guys, given the the virtual meat market they make out of women in in the gym. Jersey Shore on steroids! It is funny that very few gym users complain about me. Most just smile, say thanks. A few are glad anyone even notices.

Regarding food, my sister is going to take me shopping Tuesday or Wednesday. I have 9 more days until my SSDI comes in. I've got sugar and ketchup for the next day or two. Have to carefully dose those.

Abaas
Abaas g ahmed abas
108 Post(s)
Posted

If you want to lose fat, you need to be at a deficit below maintenance and to gain muscle you need to be at a slight surplus. For me, I want to keep losing body fat o on non work-out days I limit my carbs and keep fats and protein the same. If you want to gain some lean mass, you will need to increase your fats to make up for the calorie loss of carbs on days you limit them.

John

Hi john i just to know your opinion about couple of things

1-iam recently eating about 1900 caloeries on daily basis 100gm carb 200gm protein and 80 fat so someone advised me to raise my caloeries as this is too low for my age and wight iam 22 years 182 cm 190lbs with about 14-15% cuz eating low caloeries will slow down my metabolism and i think thats my be my problem becuz i think it become so difficult fore to loose the layer of fat on my abs so what do u think

BTW i used to train 4or5 days aweek hight intensity workouts but nowdays i only train twice aweek and may be some hiit at home and when i tried to eliminate carb completely so i had1500 cal only at non working days becus i am no longer active as iam studying for exams i felt very low energy and i had to sleep for longer hours

2-about IF can i eat some starchy carbs or fruit at first meal (preworkout) or just fat and protein and eat all my carb postworkout

And if iam not working out should i eat allmy carb at first meal after fasting

3-what do u think about supplement as fatburners and green tee lcarnitine cla D-aspartic acid ,preworkouts,creatin and other stuff like that do they work in aspect of fat loss or they do harm more than good

I apprwciate ur Help alot John

Abaas
Abaas g ahmed abas
108 Post(s)
Posted

John

Another problem john i tend to store alot of water around my midsection when i eat carb even 100 gm of carb despite i dont use sodium or salt at all in my diet so wt do u think should i take a diuritic supplement ?

jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted

Another problem john i tend to store alot of water around my midsection when i eat carb even 100 gm of carb despite i dont use sodium or salt at all in my diet so wt do u think should i take a diuritic supplement ?

Stay away from diuretics.......they will do more harm than good and are potentially very dangerous. If you want to lose water weight, drink more water. If the body sees it is getting a steady supply of water, it will have no need to hold some. Water is the safest diuretic. Also, green tea will help eliminate excess water.

John

«
Page 2 of 3 ▾
»
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .