Page 2 of 2 ▾
nate_dawg
nate_dawg g Nathan Bishop
453 Post(s)
453 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: December 12, 1969
Posted
Posted By: NGAFD

Hi all,

Due to my internship which started in september I'm not able to achieve good gains anymore. I believe that this is because I don't have enough energy left when I get home from a twelve-hour-work-and-travel day to perform at 100% of my powers. 

The first time I noticed this was when I wanted to do deadlifts. During a week day, I was only able to get to 3 x 175 lbs and during the weekend, after a lot of rest during the day, I got 3 x 220 lbs (Personal Best).

I don't like this, obviously and I've been looking for ways to improve, but with no success. Do you have tips or tricks to get the maximum out of a late night workout after a long and busy day, both routine as nutrition wise?

Thanks

Even though you are busy all day its very important that you take time to eat all your meals. Real energy comes from good food. Try to eat a meal like every 2-3 hours to keep a steady supply of nutrition coming into your body. In between meals sip on water throughout the day. Before you hit the gym have some coffee or a pre workout like N.0 Xplode 2.0. I have a cup of coffee in the morning and a pre workout just before I go to the gym. It does the trick for me. Just dont forget the water.

jmboiardi
jmboiardi p John M Boiardi
2.6K Post(s)
2.6K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted

It sure helps, thank you. It's the first time in my young life to work (and travel) 50 hours a week and I can feel it already, haha. Every tip to get the maximum out of my day is very welcome.

NGAFD,

All of the advice provided by everyone is spot on.  I would also add that you shouldn't be afraid to listen to your body.  ALL systems - muscular, cardiovascular, endocrine, digestive, nervous, etc - need to be fully recovered from your workouts.  Unfortunately, this doesn't happen all the time - especially with the schedule you have.  Sometimes fatigue is because one or several of these systmes is not fully recovered - especially your central nervous system (CNS).  People forget that the CNS does a lot of work.  It is what fires the muscle cells to contract.  It is like using a battery to run a device.  Don't be afraid to either train light - go more for the pump and use light weights - or skip a workout all together if you are feeling especially run down.  Trying to force your body when it doesn't want to causes more harm than good.  I know it is hard and you feel like shit if you don't work out when your supposed to but this is what leads to "more-is-better" disease :-)

John

34 years of lifting and nutritional experience and resident "old man" :-) MS Athlete and past Super Hermanite since 2013.
NGAFD
NGAFD g Nick Groeneveld
87 Post(s)
87 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: July 7, 2013
Posted
Posted By: jmboiardi

NGAFD,

All of the advice provided by everyone is spot on.  I would also add that you shouldn't be afraid to listen to your body.  ALL systems - muscular, cardiovascular, endocrine, digestive, nervous, etc - need to be fully recovered from your workouts.  Unfortunately, this doesn't happen all the time - especially with the schedule you have.  Sometimes fatigue is because one or several of these systmes is not fully recovered - especially your central nervous system (CNS).  People forget that the CNS does a lot of work.  It is what fires the muscle cells to contract.  It is like using a battery to run a device.  Don't be afraid to either train light - go more for the pump and use light weights - or skip a workout all together if you are feeling especially run down.  Trying to force your body when it doesn't want to causes more harm than good.  I know it is hard and you feel like shit if you don't work out when your supposed to but this is what leads to "more-is-better" disease :-)

John

Thanks for the great advice, John. I've been experiencing what you're saying. Up until now I wanted to continue the way I workout just like the way I did during the summer holidays, which was to get to the 95% of my 1RM almost every workout. I think that it doesn't work and I've been feeling 'low' lately. 

So a more light-weight-pump-based-routine would be a solution. Do you have a good one? (based on a three days a week routine)

I belong to the warrior in whom the old ways have joined the new. www.nickgroeneveld.com
jmboiardi
jmboiardi p John M Boiardi
2.6K Post(s)
2.6K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted

Thanks for the great advice, John. I've been experiencing what you're saying. Up until now I wanted to continue the way I workout just like the way I did during the summer holidays, which was to get to the 95% of my 1RM almost every workout. I think that it doesn't work and I've been feeling 'low' lately. 

So a more light-weight-pump-based-routine would be a solution. Do you have a good one? (based on a three days a week routine)

NGAFD,

Don't feel down.  It is not like you are lying around the house all day doing nothing :-).  I used to travel a lot with my job in IT sales.  I always made time to lift so keep at it. As for a workout, keep doing what your doing only lighten the weight and increase the reps.  You can even do it with deadlifts so you can keep your body doing the movement.   On days you feel energetic, go heavy again.  As long as you keep training, your body will continue to adapt :-)

John

34 years of lifting and nutritional experience and resident "old man" :-) MS Athlete and past Super Hermanite since 2013.
NGAFD
NGAFD g Nick Groeneveld
87 Post(s)
87 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: July 7, 2013
Posted
Posted By: jmboiardi

NGAFD,

Don't feel down.  It is not like you are lying around the house all day doing nothing :-).  I used to travel a lot with my job in IT sales.  I always made time to lift so keep at it. As for a workout, keep doing what your doing only lighten the weight and increase the reps.  You can even do it with deadlifts so you can keep your body doing the movement.   On days you feel energetic, go heavy again.  As long as you keep training, your body will continue to adapt :-)

John

I'll do that. Add to the volume, lower the weight. It might even bring me something. I want to adapt quickly and keep on training!

I belong to the warrior in whom the old ways have joined the new. www.nickgroeneveld.com
jonnyboy21
jonnyboy21 g Jonathan Reid
159 Post(s)
159 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: June 6, 2013
Posted

If i were you i would make sure that i was eating properly and getting enough carbs throughout the day. Those really help give you energy and also make sure you drink plenty of water to keep that blood flow going and keep you energized!

Future Competitive Bodybuilder
«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .