Skip to main content
«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
kevinkoprol
kevinkoprol g Kevin Boon
93 Post(s)
93 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted

I was wondering how you guys feel about stomach vacuums? I tried them a couple of times after I saw a video of Scott doing them in a circuit.

Question everything. MS Athlete
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: kevinkoprol

I was wondering how you guys feel about stomach vacuums? I tried them a couple of times after I saw a video of Scott doing them in a circuit.

They are great. I do them 2-3 times a week. I am finishing up a "How To" video on them tomorrow to post soon! You will definitely get some good tips from it! #HTH

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
Mcmike
Mcmike g Michael Benedict Ramos
458 Post(s)
458 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

I have been getting this question a lot lately and I feel like there is a major misunderstanding in relation to training your abs and increasing your waist size.

Your CORE (Abs, obliques, lower back, etc) are the foundation to your body.  If you don't train your core, you can expect to be weaker in not only lifts like deadlifting and squatting, but benching and overhead pressing as well.  This is because you need to learn to contract and squeeze your core for stability throughout each of these exercise.  Without it, your body will just crumble under the pressure of the weights.

But the problem is that a lot of people think that if they are "bulking" it is pointless to work their abs because you are going to gain bodyfat and not be able to see them.  Or if you are trying to lose weight you are going to increase the size of your waist and look "bigger".

We already covered that a strong core is the foundation to your lifts whether "bulking" or "cutting".

But for those of you trying to lose weight who are under the impression that you will gain all kinds of muscle and have a thicker waist, that just isn't true.

Here are a few reasons why:

1. If if your waist is getting bigger but the rest of your body seems to not be making changes as all, it is more than likely just more bodyfat and you need to adjust your intensity level in the gym or take another look at your meal plan.

2. If you do increase muscle mass in your core that is a good thing.  You burn more calories with more muscle so the more you gain the better!  Also, as you gain muscle while simultaneously losing weight your abs are going to look AMAZING once you reach your goal!

3. This is more of a personal observation, but I have been doing weighted abdominal and oblique exercises my whole life.  I can pretty much stack any cable machine for woodchoppers and my waist is still a solid 30in. - 31in.  Maybe a close 29in. if I diet really well.  Basically what I am saying that if you eat right and train your core the muscles will become more defined and much stronger, not increase your waist size by any kind of crazy number!

AHHHHHHHHHHHH... The CORE ( Abs, obliques, lower back, etc) play an important role in dangerous lift like deadlift and squatting. It make sense to me now, that's why I'm so weak in this kind of exercises, that's why after doing deadlift with lighter weight my lower back is like a HELL!

Better to start with the CORE workouts now ! in order for me to have a guts of doing the killer deadlift and squats. Thanks man!

( Beginner ) 1 Year Lifting Experience Bachelor of Science in Marketing Management Don't be afraid to make mistakes, face failure and fall, because most of the time, the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most. You'll get everything you wish for... just focus and work on it. And you'll get more than you could ever have imagined. Who knows where life will take you. The road is long, and in the end - - the journey is the destination.
kevinkoprol
kevinkoprol g Kevin Boon
93 Post(s)
93 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

They are great. I do them 2-3 times a week. I am finishing up a "How To" video on them tomorrow to post soon! You will definitely get some good tips from it! #HTH

Awesome! I am not really sure if I am doing them the right way.

Question everything. MS Athlete
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: kevinkoprol

Awesome! I am not really sure if I am doing them the right way.

Well... i came down with a fever and didnt get the video done... but I am editing it as we speak. Sorry about that

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .