Skip to main content

How does growing muscles mass work?

This is a question that I hope to get good answers to.

«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
Artdel
Artdel g Art Delos
23 Post(s)
23 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: November 11, 2013
Posted
Posted By: jmboiardi

Art,

You need to take both.  Before and after workouts you want whey protein and BCAA's.  Before bed take Casein (milk) protein with water as it will take 5-7 hours to digest and will feed your body while it sleeps and is doing the most repairing of cells.  Do not take mass gainer before bed unless you are real skinny and you are trying to pack on weight.  

John

Got my casein protein. Man, this thing is thick compared to whey protein. I'm hoping it'll keep me full until 3 or 4 AM when I wake up. I usually wake up at 11 pm hungry.

jmboiardi
jmboiardi p John M Boiardi
2.6K Post(s)
2.6K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Artdel

Got my casein protein. Man, this thing is thick compared to whey protein. I'm hoping it'll keep me full until 3 or 4 AM when I wake up. I usually wake up at 11 pm hungry.

It will.  That is why it digests so slowly.  It forms like a "nutrient sludge" in your stomach :-)

It takes about 5-7 hours to fully digest and absorb 30 grams. 

John

34 years of lifting and nutritional experience and resident "old man" :-) MS Athlete and past Super Hermanite since 2013.
Wimpie1975
Wimpie1975 g Wimpie van Staden
5 Post(s)
5 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted

I'm faced with a multitude of problems (on the site) right now:

- I can't get profile photos to upload, not that I want everyone to see what I look like at the moment too

- I've been to a dietician for a new diet to follow. My diet for now is focussed on loosing fat and getting enough good calories for muscle building.

- I also find it difficult to upload a meal plan, because the food and supplements I use is not available on this site, well 60% of what I eat and take is not in the lists.

- The supplements I use are also not on this site.

- Basically everything food and supplement wise I need to get all the info from, and to be frank, it will take me a day to add all the items' nutrtional values in order to set up my diet.

- I'm also getting my workouts from a biokineticist. Some of the exercises he has given me is also different or not found on this site. I can list which muscle groups I'm doing on which days, but I'm not sure if that would be enough.

All I know is that I'm making progress and I'm approaching April 2014, which is my cut-off date to determine if I'm wasting my time or have made enough progress to maintain what I'm doing. I'm making progress, because at the beginning of October I weighed 85 kilograms and my bodyfat was 15.4% I'm now at 87.5 kilograms and my bodyfat is 13.1% My arms, shoulders, chest, biceps, forearms and legs have grown and my waste and bum got smaller.

I've read a lot about men older than 35 that are trying to build muscle. Factors like testosterone and Human Growth Hormones decrease when you're in your mid-thirties. So my next step is to see my GP to determine my levels of testosterone and HGH to see if I need to do something to increase my levels, or get it back to normal.

Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: Wimpie1975

I'm faced with a multitude of problems (on the site) right now:

- I can't get profile photos to upload, not that I want everyone to see what I look like at the moment too

- I've been to a dietician for a new diet to follow. My diet for now is focussed on loosing fat and getting enough good calories for muscle building.

- I also find it difficult to upload a meal plan, because the food and supplements I use is not available on this site, well 60% of what I eat and take is not in the lists.

- The supplements I use are also not on this site.

- Basically everything food and supplement wise I need to get all the info from, and to be frank, it will take me a day to add all the items' nutrtional values in order to set up my diet.

- I'm also getting my workouts from a biokineticist. Some of the exercises he has given me is also different or not found on this site. I can list which muscle groups I'm doing on which days, but I'm not sure if that would be enough.

All I know is that I'm making progress and I'm approaching April 2014, which is my cut-off date to determine if I'm wasting my time or have made enough progress to maintain what I'm doing. I'm making progress, because at the beginning of October I weighed 85 kilograms and my bodyfat was 15.4% I'm now at 87.5 kilograms and my bodyfat is 13.1% My arms, shoulders, chest, biceps, forearms and legs have grown and my waste and bum got smaller.

I've read a lot about men older than 35 that are trying to build muscle. Factors like testosterone and Human Growth Hormones decrease when you're in your mid-thirties. So my next step is to see my GP to determine my levels of testosterone and HGH to see if I need to do something to increase my levels, or get it back to normal.

Hey Wimpie,

I just posted a walkthrough video to help you with photo uploading :)

Check it out here:

As for all the food and supplements, you can enter in your own custom foods very easily.  You can download the vitabot app for the meal planner and use the barcode scanner or you can manually type them in.  You will see an option to add custom foods when you are logged into your meal plan :)

IF you can, please post for us your daily macros and your current routine.  That would actually help greatly!  Thanks man!

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
Joey_Lopez
Joey_Lopez g Jose Lopez
226 Post(s)
226 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Train for a sport Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted
Posted By: Wimpie1975

i hope I may post this.

we all know by now that diet and training hard are the key components to building bigger muscles. We need to eat protein and rip it up in the gym. BUT, can anyone please answer this: What must happen in your body to be able to grow your muscles? In other words, after my workout, what happens to the chemistry in my body and what happens with the supplements and food I eat to make my muscles grow? How much of what I eat contribute to muscle growth etc?

Stay awesome people!

W

Yo Whimpie1975, I'm just taking some time to go over and review the older forum posts. How have your gains been since getting all this info? Did you take up any new suppliments?

Hope everything is going great brotha!

#HTH

2 year #SHF athlete I love to train hard and help others when they want it.
«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .