«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
iaretyler
iaretyler g Tyler Dowling
17 Post(s)
17 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: June 6, 2018
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

@iaretyler doing 5 warm-up sets should be sufficient, no need to do more than that unless you are warming up to a 1RM.

Glad to hear your back hasn't been hurting lately! Hopefully that is a sign that the APT exercises are working and everything is on the mend! 🏋 

@Scott_Herman Thought I'd give you an update. Yesterday I took my time with the rack pulls and did 5 sets of warmups, with about 50+ pounds between sets. Overall, the pain was not there like it was the other day. A few times I felt it start up on the first rep of a set - put the bar down, really focused on my form and finished the set with no pain. Did the stretching in between sets too. So yeah it probably was my hip flexors acting up. Thanks for the help.

Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: iaretyler

@Scott_Herman Thought I'd give you an update. Yesterday I took my time with the rack pulls and did 5 sets of warmups, with about 50+ pounds between sets. Overall, the pain was not there like it was the other day. A few times I felt it start up on the first rep of a set - put the bar down, really focused on my form and finished the set with no pain. Did the stretching in between sets too. So yeah it probably was my hip flexors acting up. Thanks for the help.

@iaretyler So glad to hear that man! Hopefully you'll be lifting completely pain free in no time!

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
iaretyler
17 Post(s)
Posted

@scott_herman Whats up Scott. I've been working on my deadlift and squat for a while now since we last spoke. Since ATG high bar was hurting my back, I've tried switching to a more low bar/rippetoe type of squat. It doesn't hurt my back nearly as much, however there is a slight forward lean with the bar path as it is not exactly straight vertical. Do you have any idea why? I think it puts unecessary stress on my lower back.

Squat vid:

With my deadlift, its been going really well! I think I'm on path to hit my deadlift goal of 405 by the end of the school year. But I wanted to post these two videos here for you to check something out. Within a week, I was able to add ten pounds to my 5x5, from 315 to 325 beltless by changing my form a bit. I put my feet in more narrow, with the bar directly over mid foot, and drop my butt down before the rep and pull the bar up my body. This feels pretty good, however after looking at my video of it on my last set, I've noticed I hyperextend my back quite a bit as opposed to my previous form with 315 lbs. Is this bad and will it catch up with me? Do you have a cue that would straighten my back more? Or maybe its not a problem since I feel stronger with it.

Nevertheless heres the video with a straighter back and less weight:

And heres the vid from this morning where I pulled 325 for 5x5 but with some hyperextension:

iaretyler
17 Post(s)
Posted

Oh and my APT still kinda sucks but I'm working with it 😅 

Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: iaretyler

@scott_herman Whats up Scott. I've been working on my deadlift and squat for a while now since we last spoke. Since ATG high bar was hurting my back, I've tried switching to a more low bar/rippetoe type of squat. It doesn't hurt my back nearly as much, however there is a slight forward lean with the bar path as it is not exactly straight vertical. Do you have any idea why? I think it puts unecessary stress on my lower back.

Squat vid:

With my deadlift, its been going really well! I think I'm on path to hit my deadlift goal of 405 by the end of the school year. But I wanted to post these two videos here for you to check something out. Within a week, I was able to add ten pounds to my 5x5, from 315 to 325 beltless by changing my form a bit. I put my feet in more narrow, with the bar directly over mid foot, and drop my butt down before the rep and pull the bar up my body. This feels pretty good, however after looking at my video of it on my last set, I've noticed I hyperextend my back quite a bit as opposed to my previous form with 315 lbs. Is this bad and will it catch up with me? Do you have a cue that would straighten my back more? Or maybe its not a problem since I feel stronger with it.

Nevertheless heres the video with a straighter back and less weight:

And heres the vid from this morning where I pulled 325 for 5x5 but with some hyperextension:

@iaretyler Your squat form actually looks good. You will always have a slight forward lean when you're doing low bar, simply because of where you have to place the bar across your back. To me it looks like the bar path itself is pretty much straight up and down.

And for your deadlift, I didn't actually think you were hyper-extending much at the lockout at all. It is hard to tell because of the camera angle (the plates kind of block the view of your back once you lift the weight up) but for the most part, it seems like you were simply squeezing your glutes through at the top. I have seen a lot worse hyper-extension.

If anything, that's probably just your APT and it probably only looks different to your other video because you aren't wearing a belt.

Also, I embedded your videos into your original post 😁 

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .