Page 2 of 2 ▾
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted
Posted By: Vyse

Hey @scott_herman,

I hope your having a great time finishing up moving in to the new house and setting up your studio.

I have but one question.

Since the last time I wrote you (Oct 2018) I only gained 0.6kg / 1.3 lbs, beeing in a caloric surplus of 240kcal (10% of my suggested 2400kcal maintenance, so 2640 kcal). Here is 3 things I observed:

- I´ve had ups and downs regarding weight, probably tied to water retention, even tho I drink the same amounts of fluids every day. (somedays up to 1kg more / less on the scale!)

- I´ve increased my kcal intake by another 100kcal (+25g carbs) a month ago (to 2740, so +340kcal), and my weight is still on the lower side.

The image I see in the mirror also hasnt changed much.

- I´ve gained strength! I do squat more and deeper with better form, I bench more, deadlift more, doing more pullups. Smaller exercised like side delt cable raises and hamstring curls and scullcursher I´ve been increasing technique and a little bit of weight.

So to me the (small) strength gain and almost no weight gain make no sense.

I´ve also recently added 3 short (15m) home workouts for abs I do on non-gym days, and I`ve added 1 exercise each to my gym days (4 days a week, added shrugs to pull day and leg extension to push day) and maybe thus burning more kcal than originally calculated.

Would you simple suggest eating more and then take another look in 2-3months?

With 172cm and 65kg bodyweight most calcs. estimate a ~2400kcal maintenance, altho the "how active are you" factor is pretty vague, so it could be anything from 2350-2550kcal maintenance.

Im looking forward to your answer, have a great Valentines Day with your wife !!

Cheers

@Vyse Hey man! Welcome back!

The answer is going to seem pretty simple but yes, you just need to eat more. Remember that the numbers you get from any calculator, even here on this site, are just starting points to work from.

If you notice after 2 weeks or 3 weeks that you're not gaining weight, then you need to make changes based on your own results. Now it's possible that you were gaining muscle and losing fat, but if you feel like there's been no change in your physique for 3 months, then that doesn't sound like the case.

If you still aren't gaining weight at 2700 calories, try 3000 calories. It's great that you're gaining strength! But in order to build muscle you'll need to be in that calorie surplus and based on what you've said, it doesn't sound like you're in a surplus at the moment. It's true that you might be burning more than you think, so eat more to grow my bro!

Also make sure you are getting enough protein - protein is the building blocks of muscles!

Thanks man, hope you have a great weekend!

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
Vyse
Vyse g Johannes Thuerer
11 Post(s)
11 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: July 7, 2018
Posted

Hey @scott_herman,

I´ve got a quick question regarding progressive overload.

So my size / weight gain and strength gain is slowly but steadily growing, but Im not sure I know when to up the weight.

Until now ive done the following (example: bench press)

a) set target of 8-12 reps, 4 sets

b) choose starting weight, lets say 60kg

c) hit 8 - 7 - 7- 6 reps

d) train until I hit 12 - 10 - 9 - 8 reps

c) up the weight to 62.5kg

e) hit 8 - 7 - 7 - 6 reps

f) train until I hit 12 - 10 - 9 - 8 reps

g) up the weight

This progress (for most of my exercises) takes between 1 and 2 months (depending on exercise, weighted pull ups take the longest for me).

Is upping the weight but losing volume (number of repetitions, from 12 to 8 for example) an okay way? Or should I stay at 60kg bench until I can hit 16 reps, then up the weight so I dont fall below 12 reps with the new weight.

Thanks and nice day!

Neutralino
Neutralino p Abdul Mirza
7 Post(s)
7 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: October 10, 2017
Posted

Hello Scott I hope you are doing well. Ok basically i am currently a week into a mini cut which i will be doing for about 4 weeks. Everything is going good so far, i have reduced my calories slightly and i am still able to lift the heavy weights which i was doing before the cut which is a good sign. I feel i have lost a very little fat on my lower abs. Here is the weird thing Scott, when i do the torso twist in the mirror i can see my obliques and v-cut on my lower abs very clearly, but i can still pinch a lot of fat near my belly button which is the very reason why i am going on this mini cut because i want to remove it and kind of "start fresh".

Here's my question Scott, what should i do to maximise the lower ab fat loss? Should i do cardio after my workout, or focus more on lower ab exercises with a lot of volume?

Another thing Scott, the lower lats and obliques are very closely connected, so if you build your obliques and your lower lats, will you reduce the love handles whilst lowering your body fat percentange? if i can remove the lower ab fat and the little bit of fat around my obliques, then i will feel a lot better after 4 weeks.

Thank you so much for your time and effort Scott!!

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Vyse

Hey @scott_herman,

I´ve got a quick question regarding progressive overload.

So my size / weight gain and strength gain is slowly but steadily growing, but Im not sure I know when to up the weight.

Until now ive done the following (example: bench press)

a) set target of 8-12 reps, 4 sets

b) choose starting weight, lets say 60kg

c) hit 8 - 7 - 7- 6 reps

d) train until I hit 12 - 10 - 9 - 8 reps

c) up the weight to 62.5kg

e) hit 8 - 7 - 7 - 6 reps

f) train until I hit 12 - 10 - 9 - 8 reps

g) up the weight

This progress (for most of my exercises) takes between 1 and 2 months (depending on exercise, weighted pull ups take the longest for me).

Is upping the weight but losing volume (number of repetitions, from 12 to 8 for example) an okay way? Or should I stay at 60kg bench until I can hit 16 reps, then up the weight so I dont fall below 12 reps with the new weight.

Thanks and nice day!

@Vyse How you're doing it at the moment is OK! You're still applying that progressive overload which is good. Ideally I would say pick a number of reps that you're aiming for and stick to it when you're trying this though.

For example, aim for 4 sets of 8 reps. If you only do 8 reps on the first set, you shouldn't be burnt out so much that you have to do fewer reps during the next set (assuming you're using say 60kg, which you COULD do for 12 reps if you basically go to failure, which is why on the second set you can then only do 10). At the moment you might be burning yourself out too much on the first and second sets by basically doing an AMRAP each set.

I think if you just aimed for 8-8-8-8 that you would hit that quicker than aiming for a 8 - 12 rep range.

Does that make sense?

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Neutralino

Hello Scott I hope you are doing well. Ok basically i am currently a week into a mini cut which i will be doing for about 4 weeks. Everything is going good so far, i have reduced my calories slightly and i am still able to lift the heavy weights which i was doing before the cut which is a good sign. I feel i have lost a very little fat on my lower abs. Here is the weird thing Scott, when i do the torso twist in the mirror i can see my obliques and v-cut on my lower abs very clearly, but i can still pinch a lot of fat near my belly button which is the very reason why i am going on this mini cut because i want to remove it and kind of "start fresh".

Here's my question Scott, what should i do to maximise the lower ab fat loss? Should i do cardio after my workout, or focus more on lower ab exercises with a lot of volume?

Another thing Scott, the lower lats and obliques are very closely connected, so if you build your obliques and your lower lats, will you reduce the love handles whilst lowering your body fat percentange? if i can remove the lower ab fat and the little bit of fat around my obliques, then i will feel a lot better after 4 weeks.

Thank you so much for your time and effort Scott!!

@Neutralino The main thing you need to keep in mind is that you can't spot reduce fat. So when you do your cardio or what exercises you do isn't going to determine where your body loses fat from. That's just something your body will decide on it's own, you don't really have control over that other than to be in a deficit like you are and lose fat overall.

Same answer for the second question really, that you can't spot reduce love handle fat. Now, if you build your lats and shouldersr in particular to be wider, then that will help to give you a better V-Taper which will create the illusion of a smaller waist / smaller love handles.

Hope that helps!

Vyse
Vyse g Johannes Thuerer
11 Post(s)
Posted

@scott_herman,

it totally makes sense.

I never thought about setting the same rep goal for each set (8 8 8 8), and I also never thought about that what I am doing is basically AMRAP every set.

When reading guides / watching videos who tell you to train in a rep range from 8-12 I always thought you should be able to hit 12 reps, but never below 8.

Thats why most of my exercises which refer to the 8-12 rep range go something like 12 - 10 - 8 - 7.

Going 8 8 8 8 seems easier for progressive overload, because one you hit 4 x 8, you up the weight and train until you reach 4 x 8 with the new weight.

With my interpretation of 8-12 reps this would seem much more complicated.

I do like the approach, but am kinda afraid not going ham every set, and basically holding back to "guarantee" 8 reps for the last set.

If you recommend this approach tho, I will try it next time and see how it feels.

Thanks!

Vyse
Vyse g Johannes Thuerer
11 Post(s)
Posted

Hey @scott_herman

I hope its okay for me to keep using the same topic.

I´ve got a question regarding overtraining / not getting enough rest.

I think my recovery isnt going as planned and I need to cut some exercises out of my program.

Im working out 4 times a week, for approximately 1h30m.

I tried to include every important movement / exercise, thats why its taking this long.

But because I also work in shifts, im not getting enough sleep 3-4 days of the week.

Before a dayshift / after a nightshift im only getting ~ 4 hours of sleep, sometimes less.

Paired with my work itself im feeling sore almost every day, and feel like im not getting as much gaines as I used to when my program was more simple.

This image is my current routine, and the red-colored exercises are the ones im thinking of removing.

https://i.imgur.com/w7bmXGQ.png

What do you think about it?

Since my program seems to be somewhat well rounded, its hard to pick something to remove.

Thanks for your input, I hope your doing well!

«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .