«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
jmboiardi
jmboiardi p John M Boiardi
2.6K Post(s)
2.6K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted
Posted By: nyyanks937

Yea, aside from red meat, the main source of saturated fat for me is milk (for daily protein shakes and for oatmeal a few times a week). I could switch to low fat, but losing some of the fat from the milk will have the opposite effect of what I need...which is to get more calories since my issue is not getting enough. I can't win!

Low fat and no fat dairy is not adviseable. The fat is in dairy for a reason. Besides being healthy, it is there to slow the absorption of lactose which is milk sugar. Lowering the fat and/or removing the fat allows the lactose to be rapidly absorbed and spike your insulin. Skim milk is no better than a full sugar Coke and low fat milk is no better than a low sugar Coke. Stay with full fat dairy but just reduce your portions.

John

34 years of lifting and nutritional experience and resident "old man" :-) MS Athlete and past Super Hermanite since 2013.
nyyanks937
nyyanks937 g Yevgeniy Kruchenetskiy
86 Post(s)
86 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: October 10, 2017
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

Keep the protein and fats the same if you can, and just lower carbs. If you lower carbs to 150g on non-workout days for example, would that be enough to keep you in a slight surplus on non-workout days? It would take your total calories to 2210.

My BMR at rest is 1700, so that would put me in a surplus of 500. Is that considered slight? Or should I lower the carbs even more?

jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted

My BMR at rest is 1700, so that would put me in a surplus of 500. Is that considered slight? Or should I lower the carbs even more?

You don't want to calculate your deficit off of BMR - you need your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). This is a common mistake many people make. BMR is the bare minimum calories your body needs just to survive. TDEE takes into account exercise and other activities. If you go below 1700 calories without the use of drugs, your body will go into survival mode and slow your metabolism and slow all fat burning. It will also shut down your testosterone levels and you will lose muscle and fat concurrently.

There are plenty of TDEE calculators on the Internet. Your TDEE is probably around 2500 - 2800 calories. A good cutting calorie target would then be either 2000 or 2300 calories a day not 1700 or less. You calculate and adjust your macros based on these daily calorie targets not 1700 calories.

John

34 years of lifting and nutritional experience and resident "old man" :-) MS Athlete and past Super Hermanite since 2013.
Scott_Herman
Scott_Herman a Scott Herman
7.1K Post(s)
7.1K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: August 8, 2008
Posted

If you were at 2210 on rest days, that might be OK.. if you aim for between 150g-200g carbs that would then give you a window of 2210-2410. Assuming you're burning an average of around 2000-2200 calories (because you will most likely be doing more than just sitting on the couch all day) then this should be a good number to aim for.

Try it for a week or two with the carb reduction and see what results you see on the scale and in the mirror 😊 

Need 1 on 1 coaching? Send me a direct message to learn more!
nyyanks937
86 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: jmboiardi

You don't want to calculate your deficit off of BMR - you need your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). This is a common mistake many people make. BMR is the bare minimum calories your body needs just to survive. TDEE takes into account exercise and other activities. If you go below 1700 calories without the use of drugs, your body will go into survival mode and slow your metabolism and slow all fat burning. It will also shut down your testosterone levels and you will lose muscle and fat concurrently.

There are plenty of TDEE calculators on the Internet. Your TDEE is probably around 2500 - 2800 calories. A good cutting calorie target would then be either 2000 or 2300 calories a day not 1700 or less. You calculate and adjust your macros based on these daily calorie targets not 1700 calories.

John

I'm sorry but I'm getting confused. I thought TDEE was the same thing as BMR in motion?

jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted

I'm sorry but I'm getting confused. I thought TDEE was the same thing as BMR in motion?

Yes. BMR in motion and TDEE are the same. Sorry for the confusion.

Scott has pointed out the best way to achieve your goal in relation to your BMR in motion. I prefer to use the term "TDEE"

John

nyyanks937
86 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: jmboiardi

Yes. BMR in motion and TDEE are the same. Sorry for the confusion.

Scott has pointed out the best way to achieve your goal in relation to your BMR in motion. I prefer to use the term "TDEE"

John

OK thank you. In that case I'm still confused about your overall response. I know that on workout days I need to be above my BMR in motion/TDEE. However, I was asking in what way I should lower my macros during my non-workout days during which I can consume fewer calories (as long as I'm above my BMR at rest). Scott said I can lower my carbs while keeping protein and fat the same...this would take me down to 2200, which is 500 above my BMR at rest. Is this not correct?  

Also I'm confused why you mentioned a cutting calorie target...my goal is to gain muscle not lose weight (the only weight I'd like to lose is a little bit around my stomach). Thanks!

jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted

OK thank you. In that case I'm still confused about your overall response. I know that on workout days I need to be above my BMR in motion/TDEE. However, I was asking in what way I should lower my macros during my non-workout days during which I can consume fewer calories (as long as I'm above my BMR at rest). Scott said I can lower my carbs while keeping protein and fat the same...this would take me down to 2200, which is 500 above my BMR at rest. Is this not correct?  

Also I'm confused why you mentioned a cutting calorie target...my goal is to gain muscle not lose weight (the only weight I'd like to lose is a little bit around my stomach). Thanks!

Your macros would be as Scott stated. Cut carbs a bit and raise fats on rest days. Protein stays the same. If you want to gain muscle with minimal body fat gain, you need to be in a 250-500 calorie surplus over BMR in motion. When natural, you can't have both - size and leaness. You have to choose one. If your goal is to gain muscle, then you need to run a daily calorie surplus (even on rest days) as outlined above. Keeping the calorie surplus in the 250-500 range will minimize body fat gain but not prevent it.

John

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Remember the suggestion I was giving you was for your rest days. Not your workout days. Like John said, you need to be in a surplus everyday, but obviously to achieve your surplus on a rest day, you won't need as many calories.

Hence why you should aim for 2600 calories on workout days and more like 2200-2400 on rest days.

Does that make sense? Maybe try it for a week or two and gauge your results? Trial and error is the best way to go about it 😊 

nyyanks937
86 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: Scott_Herman

Remember the suggestion I was giving you was for your rest days. Not your workout days. Like John said, you need to be in a surplus everyday, but obviously to achieve your surplus on a rest day, you won't need as many calories.

Hence why you should aim for 2600 calories on workout days and more like 2200-2400 on rest days.

Does that make sense? Maybe try it for a week or two and gauge your results? Trial and error is the best way to go about it 😊 

Yea that makes sense. That's what I was trying to confirm with you guys...that on rest days I can lower my calories as long as I'm above my BMR at rest, while on workout days I need to be above my BMR in motion. Since my BMR at rest is 1700, I think going all the way to the higher end of that range (2400) may be a little much, so I'll start out with going for 2200.

Scott_Herman
7.1K Post(s)
Posted

Yea that makes sense. That's what I was trying to confirm with you guys...that on rest days I can lower my calories as long as I'm above my BMR at rest, while on workout days I need to be above my BMR in motion. Since my BMR at rest is 1700, I think going all the way to the higher end of that range (2400) may be a little much, so I'll start out with going for 2200.

That could be OK.. but BMR at rest is for if you're doing basically nothing. Will you be lightly active on your rest days? Taking in 2200 calories while trying to gain muscle, even on a rest day, isn't much.. what's your height, weight and age? You haven't filled in your profile yet so we can see 😋 

«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .