«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
NYCBorn
NYCBorn g Matthew Costa
46 Post(s)
46 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: December 12, 2016
Posted
Posted By: crood

PPL refers to a Push / Pull / Leg - Split routine where you split your training into these 3 different types within a trainings week :)

PS: as someone who transfered last from high volume training (crossfit), now into strength training (olympic weightlifting lifting) I have learned a lot about the diffences.

When you train in the lower Rep range but with higher intensity ( more weight), you also need more recovery time between the sets, and as Jmboiardi already correctly mentioned you also need the propper rest to let your body recover. The stress - especially on your nervous system is a lot higher with that kind of training, eventhough it has less reps.

You said you love spending time in the gym - don't worry - especially due to the higher need of warming up to those heavier weights, and the longer rest periods between sets, you will still get enough time to spend in there. I have 4 evenings per week with 2-3 hours of training. Espcially now that my next competition comes close.

And in regards to the 2 weeks ou have switched now - give it time, i have seen signifficant changes and adaption to the different kind of training past 3 month more recognizeable.

Your physique will also a bit change, and be careful with cardio. Tabata or HIIT are better to not mess with strength gains. And eat lean, due to the lesser cardiovascular endurance in that type of training it is a bit easier to get a tad fluffy if you don't pay attention to your nutrition hehe

But don't starve yourself - who lifts heavy - needs food, and also some carbs (carbohydrates)

That being said: Cheers ! And good training ;) Keep us posted how it is going.

Hello Crood,

Thanks for replying to my forum post and as always I appreciate your wisdom and advice.

I couldn't agree more about the rest times with lower rep but higher intensity due to that fact that when I first started working out thats all I would do is 60 seconds max on all my exercises and didnt realize at that time that I was not giving my body the proper recovery that it needed between each set. This lead me to changing my rest times between 1:30-2 minutes now and I have to say I been feeling a lot better and my body has not been giving out quicker then when I was doing the 60 seconds rest on my compound lifts.

Yes mame its crazy how much I love the gym and working out, I love it so much that im always willing to train people for free or give advice cause I love being in the gym and helping people. I have to say as well that when I did up my rest periods it feels like my workouts are taking forever lol but thats normal as u stated. By the way good luck on your upcoming competition!!

Yes mame I always loved that motto that working out is a marathon and not sprints cause its honestly true (unless your on drugs).

I do my HIIT training about 3 days a week right now on the tredmill for 15-20 minutes. Its great cause I have seen any strength loss while doing this so far.

That was my biggest mistake at first when working out was not eating as much as I needed which ended up putting my body into starvation mode and I didnt gain or lose weight and didnt see any changes in my body. It was actually very unmotvating but I am glad I stuck with you and pushed through with the thanks of everyone on this site.

One last question for anyone if you don't mind.. I want to start creating my PUSH/PULL/LEGS routine, not sure how to put it all together with my gene type and was wondering if you can give me some advice before I start creating it. Thanks!!! and again thanks for all the advice! Goodluck on your competition again!!!

«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .