«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
crood
crood a Chris P.
467 Post(s)
467 Post(s) Gender: Female Goal: Train for a sport Date Joined: August 8, 2014
Posted
Posted By: Maestro1337

I've been doing that full body workout and seriously, I'm not getting enough chest, shoulders and lats even...Can someone recomend to me a good split where I can work all the body muscles properly?

Hey there.

you basically have been given all the needed advice and good splits already.

Maybe let me clarify some things, and sum up what's important to understand.

i'm going to quote you and then answer it.

quote: " I've been doing that full body workout and seriously, I'm not getting enough chest, shoulders and lats even...Can someone recomend to me a good split where I can work all the body muscles properly?"

answer:

You won't like this answer, but basically to grow your whole body you'd just need 4 exercises. The magic word here is 'compound exercises'.

Those being: Barbell Squat, Barbell Overhead Press, Barbell (or Dumbbell) Bench Press, Barbell Deadlift.

To build muscles you need to set the right stress in terms of volume (repetitions) and intensity (amount weight).

It does not matter how many different 'isolation' (accessory) exercises, or full body (coumpound) exercises you can ramp up over the course of a week, if neither of them is performed in ways that aid to muscle growth.

All those bodyplits with one day for each musclegroup is not really something for a beginner and often not even for intermediate weightlifters. Because the intensity (amount of weight) being used in each work out, is not as taxing as to actually require such a split yet. (advanced powerlifters, olympic lifters and also bodybuilders who are lifting weights close to their genetic maximum potential, need often about 5-7 days to recover from one workout, thus are utilizing 5 day splits where 1 bodypart is hit each day and thus gets 5 full days to recover until being hit next time)

I mean you need to decide what "goal" you have.. do you wish to seriously grow all over and be strong, or do you rather wish to train for "optics" (bodybuilding).

Even for bodybuilders it is more than adviced, to start the first year or even years with mainly compound exercises to give your body an inscentive to grow all over, and built some mentionable base strength. Instead of wasting your time on isolation exercises which are rather meant to define a muscle specifically or to specifically work on certain weaknesses.

You can start slowly adding accesory moved (isolation exercises) along the way. But for the beginning concentrate on getting enough intensity and volume in your workouts to even grow at all and get some strength. (target isn't really to become stronger at a single isolation exercise - the goal should always be to become strong all over)

Compound moves require many muscles at once, and that is far more superior to produce growth hormone, trigger testosterone output, and give your body the right inscentive and impulses to grow and add muscles as well as strength.

quote: "bump. I want to train at least 4 days a week, I feel 3 days a week are such a waste, "

answer:

I am afraid you won't like this answer either.. 3 days a week are actually good enough to do some serious growth. (if intensity and volume are right per workout).

And yes all of this can be achieved with basically 4 coumpound moves... shocking ... i know ;)

traps.. you don't even need to train them 'isolated' or directly. Traps are that one bodypart that kind of automatically grows along with the rest of your upper body.

If you barbell deadlift and barbellbell row orderly the traps will shoot up like there is no tomorrow.

quote: " i'm not sore the next days to the point I cannot workout. "

answer:

Another misunderstanding beginners often fall for. Soreness does not "show" that a workout was good. Soreness is a sign of having simply done something oyur body was not used to. Now this can be either intensity or the volume. But it doesn't mean that a muscle has gotten the right impulse to grow.

And a muscle doesn't grow from one single sore workout either. And a row of workouts that would always make you sore the same way would most likely lead to inflamation issues.

You can find some really good articles on this page here about this particular topic, if soreness is actually a sign for musclegrwoth or a good workout - and it is not =)

you say you are working out 4-5 days per week , and already had a 1 bodypart per day split. I think for a beginner - just as most others do - you are wasting your time with those. For above said reasons.

Oh and muscles don't grow in the gym, they grow on rest days and in sleep ;) another misconception many people have when it comes to restdays being a 'bad' thing. They are NOT!

Keep that energy that you blast out on those high volume repping down isolation exercises and use it to raise the intensity (amount of weight) on the major compound moves.

Your calories might be too little as well to support growth. And with all that hypertrophy isolation work you normally burn even more.

Just a rough calculation for you:

this would be with working out 3 days a week. and that#s already 2800 calories per day.

With 283 carbs, 283 protein, and 63 gram fat. (protein can be shifted a bit over to carbs and fat. 1-1,5 g of protein per lbs of lean bodyweight is enough.)

So here a suggestion for a 4 days plan for you: Simple but to the point.

Try a strength orientated routine for about 4-6 weeks.

Adding 1,25 kilo more on each side of the barbell for 'every' workout day.

IMPORTANT: if you fail to execute an exercise in "perfect form" (no struggling no jerking the weight into position etc) and without failiure for 5 sets and 5 reps..

DO NOT add weight on the next training day of that particular exercise. Even if you did 4x5 and on the last set you can only do 3x5 .. this is a failure set and you have to repeat the same weight next training day. You need to do this with the same amount of weight, until it sits perfectly.

So get yourself a sheet of paper or notebook, or note it on your smartphone, how much you did, so you know if you need to raise or stick with the same weight.

First week: find out what weight you can do those (see afterwards) exercises with, which is challenging (not too easy) but manageable for 5x5 (5 sets, with each 5 repetitions) and for deadlift how much you can do for a working set of 1 x 5.

From there on add more weight (as described above) in each workout day for an exercise.

Week 1

Monday:

Squat 5x5

bench Press 5x5

Barbell Row 5x5

Wednesday

Squat 5x5

Overhead Press 5x5

Deadlift 1x5 (only 1x5)

Friday

Squat 5x5

bench Press 5x5

Barbell Row 5x5

Week 2

Monday

Squat 5x5

Overhead Press 5x5

Deadlift 1x5 (only 1x5)

Wednesday

Squat 5x5

bench Press 5x5

Barbell Row 5x5

Friday

Squat 5x5

Overhead Press 5x5

Deadlift 1x5 (only 1x5)

Thursdays:

Cardio (HIIT) 30 minutes (can be done on weekends too)

Conditioning work, lower weights (only 50%) , higher reps. (avoid the muscleparts that will be on your plan on friday)

Week 3- Rinse and repeat!! (begin from week 1 again)

Warmups:

The 5x5 are just the "working sets" - warmup sets are structured like this example:

Maximum of 5 warmup sets! Warmup sets must be executed in a way to preserve energy for the workout sets.

example:

warmup set 1 - 1x10 with empty bar

warmup set 2 - 1x5 15 % of working set weight

warmup set 3 - 1 x 3 50% of working set weight

warmup set 4 - 1x2 75% of working set weight

Restperiods:

3-6 minutes between working sets. Depending on how hard the set felt. (feels easy: give it 2-3 mins rest, felt kind of stressy do 3-4, felt hard: rest full 6 minutes)

do this program until you begin to struggle and simply can't add more weight.

From there on you can add accesory moves and try to only raise weight on the main compound exercises 1 once per week. As - the stronger you become - the slower progression will be, and by that time we can talk again what different routine might be interesting for you.

When we know explicit numbers of what you can lift / in which manner.

Okay those were my 2 cents (well or my 100 cents ^^) Cheers!

-crood: out -

Admin + MS Athlete You will get nowhere, if you don't move :) - crood -
«
Page 2 of 2 ▾
muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .