Semolina

Thoughts on Semolina

crood
crood a Chris P.
467 Post(s)
467 Post(s) Gender: Female Goal: Train for a sport Date Joined: August 8, 2014
Posted

Hey Guys, any thoughts on Semolina?

I'm contemplating eating a tad more of it as it contains a good amount of protein, and is a good source of energy. But it's grain, so i am wondering if it might give me the same negative impact that bread & baked prodcuts do (water retension, bloated belly, etc), or if it's rather a good thing in it's "pure" form being just the shred grains ?

Anyone has experience with it? I see it rarely popping up in discussions.

Admin + MS Athlete You will get nowhere, if you don't move :) - crood -
JoeHurricane
JoeHurricane p Jordan Matthews
1.5K Post(s)
1.5K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: December 12, 2013
Posted
Posted By: crood

I'm contemplating eating a tad more of it as it contains a good amount of protein, and is a good source of energy. But it's grain, so i am wondering if it might give me the same negative impact that bread & baked prodcuts do (water retension, bloated belly, etc), or if it's rather a good thing in it's "pure" form being just the shred grains ?

I just read that as Salmonella...lol

What is Semolina?

Jordan

SHF Athlete MS Athlete Partial Fitness YouTuber
crood
crood a Chris P.
467 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: JoeHurricane

I just read that as Salmonella...lol

What is Semolina?

Jordan

Oh god, Jordan... lol... XD

okay in case you don't know what it is.. here is the Wiki Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semolina It's also known as farina. But Semolina is the more common name. You can find it a lot all over Europe. Not sure how common it is in the US, though.

Tim_Maynard177
Tim_Maynard177 g Timothy Maynard
7 Post(s)
7 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: June 6, 2015
Posted

hmm I've also never heard of it before :P my guess is that if its a whole grain something like brown rice or quinoa you should be good to go, but even then some people have issues with those

jmboiardi
jmboiardi p John M Boiardi
2.6K Post(s)
2.6K Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Bodybuilding Date Joined: October 10, 2013
Posted

Chris,

I saw the title of the post and all I could think of is the line from the Beatle's "I am the Walrus" --- "Semolina Pilchard, climbing up the Eiffel Tower. Elementary penguin singing Hare Krishna, man you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allen Poe. I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus" :-P

Semolina is fine. Most whole grain pasta is made with semolina. It is not a refined grain like white pasta.

John

34 years of lifting and nutritional experience and resident "old man" :-) MS Athlete and past Super Hermanite since 2013.
crood
crood a Chris P.
467 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: jmboiardi

Chris,

I saw the title of the post and all I could think of is the line from the Beatle's "I am the Walrus" --- "Semolina Pilchard, climbing up the Eiffel Tower. Elementary penguin singing Hare Krishna, man you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allen Poe. I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus" :-P

Semolina is fine. Most whole grain pasta is made with semolina. It is not a refined grain like white pasta.

John

@jmboiardi Thanks John, kinda knew you would probably know it. Due to your origin and food-knowledge.
Alright, i'll give it a go. I ate it a lot as child and remembered it, thought it might be worth a try since it's something in it's clear form and nothing added or processed. (aside from being shred in tiny pieces)

Cheers! :)

@Tim_Maynard177 hehe yeah it seems it isn#t that common everywhere on the world. But it's tasting great! And fills nicely.

JoeHurricane
1.5K Post(s)
Posted

Oh god, Jordan... lol... XD

okay in case you don't know what it is.. here is the Wiki Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semolina It's also known as farina. But Semolina is the more common name. You can find it a lot all over Europe. Not sure how common it is in the US, though.

How about that, you learn something new every day :P

Looks like it's just a form of wholegrain..should be good like the others said!

Jordan

ycaner
ycaner g Yas CANER
36 Post(s)
36 Post(s) Gender: Male Goal: Gain Muscle Date Joined: April 4, 2015
Posted

Semolina is so common in turkey has so many type desserts. One of them is semolina helva. Ä°t is really really delicous. but i dont know Healhty semoline recipe. u may share ?

crood
crood a Chris P.
467 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: ycaner

Semolina is so common in turkey has so many type desserts. One of them is semolina helva. Ä°t is really really delicous. but i dont know Healhty semoline recipe. u may share ?

yeah it is ! i think simplest and healthiest meal you could make with them is cook it with 0,1 skimmed milk. And add a bit cinnamon and a banana. =)

jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted

yeah it is ! i think simplest and healthiest meal you could make with them is cook it with 0,1 skimmed milk. And add a bit cinnamon and a banana. =)

Chris,

I would use low fat or full fat milk and avoid skim milk. Drinking skim milk is like drinking a Coke. Lactose, the sugar in milk, is meant to be consumed with dairy fat to slow its absorption. Drinking skim milk is dumping pure lactose into your system which will spike your insulin. Fat is not the enemy and there is a reason nature included fat in some foods :-)

John

34 years of lifting and nutritional experience and resident "old man" :-) MS Athlete and past Super Hermanite since 2013.
crood
crood a Chris P.
467 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: jmboiardi

Chris,

I would use low fat or full fat milk and avoid skim milk. Drinking skim milk is like drinking a Coke. Lactose, the sugar in milk, is meant to be consumed with dairy fat to slow its absorption. Drinking skim milk is dumping pure lactose into your system which will spike your insulin. Fat is not the enemy and there is a reason nature included fat in some foods :-)

John

Hey John,

for myself i use percentage (%) Milk.

Just wanted to suggest the least calory version to make semolina. I should have clarified that.

But yes i agree with you.

I personally am not too big of a fan of skimmed milk because they actually have to add color to make it white instead of the blue color it gets from the skimming process. And some other disturbing facts.

http://butterbeliever.com/fat-free-dairy-skim-milk-secrets/

jmboiardi
2.6K Post(s)
Posted

Hey John,

Just wanted to suggest the least calory version to make semolina. I should have clarified that.

I personally am not too big of a fan of skimmed milk because they actually have to add color to make it white instead of the blue color it gets from the skimming process. And some other disturbing facts.

Yikes! I didn't know all that about skim milk and I used to drink it for years :-0

John

JoeHurricane
1.5K Post(s)
Posted

Hey John,

That is an interesting read.

@jmboiardi, I also drink skim/trim milk, not heaps, about a glass a day with my shake, but this makes regular milk sound a lot better. I only have milk for the calcium really anyway. And I must admit, when I read the beginning of this article, it sounds just like you wrote it John - talking about the fact that fat is not the enemy :).

Jordan

crood
crood a Chris P.
467 Post(s)
Posted
Posted By: JoeHurricane

That is an interesting read.

@jmboiardi, I also drink skim/trim milk, not heaps, about a glass a day with my shake, but this makes regular milk sound a lot better. I only have milk for the calcium really anyway. And I must admit, when I read the beginning of this article, it sounds just like you wrote it John - talking about the fact that fat is not the enemy :).

Jordan

Yeah, i have heard many of those facts for years from many sources which is why i slowly backed off long ago from skimmed milk myself and changed to perentage or full milk.

Here is another interesting article on whole milk versus whey as a post workout.

it's always good to know all the facts and then to decide what works best for yourself :)

muscular strength
 You must be a Member to view or reply this tread. Please Log In or become a Member .